AVIC411.com

How to connect digital camera/camcorder?

Presuming the AV2 input jack is the way to do this, there are almost no posts on this subject and nothing in the manual that specifically refers to digital cameras or camcorders.

Using the cable that connects my digital camera to my TV at home, I had no luck attempting to display the pictures on my digital camera, on my F90BT. There is a diagram of the connector cable on pg.18 of the installation manual, but neither of two connector cables that came with my camera/camcorder are colored the same way the manual illustrates (all my rings are yellow).

I may need to buy the Pioneer cable or equivalent, but just want to see if anyone else has found a way to see digital pictures directly from their camera or digicam via AV2.

I also tried taking the SD card out of my camera and inserting it directly, but that only resulted in being able to hear the audio track of a short video clip, but with no pictures or video.

Surely if people are hooking up their video game consoles, this simple operation should work somehow?

Game consoles are riciculously easy to hook up to the unit, Simple video and audio in plus an AC/DC power converter. What your attempting is different.

I'm not 100% on this, so other members please correct me. I'm not sure if the unit supports a feature to view pictures. No doubt that your cam would come up if you plugged in to Video in, but if I understand your intentions right, I don't think it's possible to have pictures come up unless you were changing he splash screen which in that case would require a USB drive or an SD card..

thanks Catch Me - hard to believe the F90BT wouldn't support JPEG viewing, but I didn't see in the detail appendices list of support formats either so maybe that's just something they decided to support.

Too bad - I've seen much lower-end, less full-featured heads that offer easy input for DV and cameras, and it's nice feature.

I'll keep pursuing it, and hopefully some others will post with their results.

update as of 1/30/09 - tried my digital camera using my camcorder TV-connection RCA cable, no luck.

I am having a hard time understanding why Pioneer suggests using their cable (CD-RM10) to connect digicams and the like, when the female RCA connectors that the CD-RM10 comes with won't plug directly into any digital camera or camcorder that I know of.

I did indeed...it recognized the source to the degree that I could hear the audio track of a short video clip I captured on my digital camera, but the screen was dark with no pictures.

I don't know where else to turn, and despite the runaway success of digital cameras, cell-phone cameras, and digital camcorders, the subject seems of little interest to those on this forum - I can't get anyone to comment, or even say they've tried, despite this being a popular feature promoted the manufacturer's of other video enabled head units.

Sigh.

I'm trying to accomplish the comparatively simple task of viewing still photos and/or video on my F90BT screen. Just as one can do with digital cameras viewing photos/video on a TV screen at home, and using the same operational model:

0) turn on the F90BT, wait for startup/boot to complete

1) make sure AV2 is set to video

2) plug the camera/camcorder into the AV2 input on the front of the unit

3) turn on the camera/camcorder

4) use the controls on the camera/camcorder to either flip through still photos, play video, etc.

There is no file transfer taking place here, it is the same concept as watching iPod video on the F90BT - plug in the device, switch to the video source, and play/watch.

There may not be a cable that accomplishes this, or it may just be that the F90BT is not setup to receive an incoming image or video feed from a device plugged into the AV2 outlet. Or, it could be that the F90BT simply doesn't support the native format DV files are stored on when captured with a digital camcorder.

For video, I could attempt to:

1. hook up a digital video camera as if it were a game console, using connector/adapter cables routed to the back of the unit

2. move video files from the camcorder to a USB storage or SD card, encoded in a format the F90BT supports

3. burn a DVD of the video in a format the F90BT supports

For viewing digital pictures, I may be out of luck, or could try option #1 above. Another way to ask this question would be: Other than splash screens, is there any way to view JPEG's on the F90BT????