AVIC411.com

Need input on F90BT

its pretty good. i have the 900, but the 90 is basically identical, except with better pre-outs and a longer warranty. but anyhow, with the second firmware update, it is much improved. and if you feel comfortable hacking your unit, it makes it even better. the interface is better, nav is good and accurate, ipod control is sweet. overall its a real nice unit. im completely happy with my 900...

I ordered the f90bt and it should be here on Monday. If you give me a few days, I could give you my initial impressions. PM me if you don't get what you are looking for from everyone else; but from my experience, that wont be an issue. Your next problem will probably be too many good opinions.

I was going through the same decisions as you less than a few weeks ago.

I'll give you a summary of what I think after recieving my F90bt:

1) The navigation works pretty well I do wish it was smarter for example my navigation system wants me to take side roads to get to my house and make a left turn at a stop sign rather than continuing straight and turning left onto the same road at the stop light (which is mighty easier)

I also had a pretty funny experiance with the nav system when I drove on a new bypass that was built this past year. The nav system kept telling me to make invalid turns because the road didn't exist on the system so it was like flying.

Other than that, the turn by turn directions get you to where you want to go. I just wish it was smarter, like avoiding school zones, prefering stoplights to stop signs, and the like. I don't suppose any nav system is that smart though.

2) Sound quality on the deck is much better than my old alpine stereo. Then again when you buy premier it had better be :).

3) I've had the occasional iPod lockup when using it connected to the head unit. This typically happens when I'm skipping song after song after song. And usually requires the special iPod reset (hold menu & the center button until you see the apple logo).

4) Make sure to use either the hardware or software bypass. I can't tell you how horribly annoying it is to have to wait for the system to fully boot up before setting your destination, and it's worse if you have to sit there with your parking break on the entire time.

I haven't gotten my mic hooked up yet so I can't give you the details on voice control yet but that's coming next week.

Final thoughts:

The system is really an all in one system. I haven't seen any other company come close to this system in terms of interface, design, and capabilities. My only real complaints with the nav system would apply to even Garmin systems, with the exception of no voice recognition for navigation. The radio is great, ipod controls work pretty good too (with the minor exception I talked about earlier).

In my opinion for the price you can get this system from 6ave and all it does it's a great steal. There are minor problems but alot of it could easily be solved in future updates, and considering you'd pay $1k for an equivilent alpine, clarion, kenwood or eclipse system the choice is pretty clear.

I got my 90bt installed and after two days I can say that I really enjoy it. I have a F-150 Screw and it was easy to install. Did the software mod for dvd playback according to directions in the forums and it worked perfectly.

The voice control works better than I thought it would, especially when trying to select a particular artist.

I hooked up the ipod connector via the glovebox to my iPhone, and it works perfectly. The bluetooth connection with the phone works like it should.

I mounted the GPS antenna inside towards the front of the dash and I have not seen any drop in coverage whatsoever. Very accurate.

Although the 90bt pumps plenty of sound into my Boston S85's, I think I am going to add a couple amps and a sub so it can really scream.

Once I figured out how to turn down the "bing" sound, the unit got that much better.

Overall I would give it a high 8, around 8.8. It is a great unit, not perfect, but what is? It does GPS, BT, iPod control, sounds awesome, and looks spectacular.