AVIC411.com

900bt - What formats of movies does it play?

ok so I tried the SD card, the usb and the CD and there seems to be a problem.

The SD card I put 7 music videos on there and it played 3 of them and said it skipped the ones it couldnt play. I then took all 7 off and put one of the ones it couldn't play by it self and it played it.

Im trying to figure out if theres a reason why its not playing the other ones or why it wont play more then 3 videos on a disk. like 10 of the videos came ripped from youtube and half of them play and the other half doesnt.

Im beginning to think i should take this thing back and maybe look at another unit

Well after a bit more research and talking to some people I figured out that this unit sucks at playing movies through SD and it doesnt play videos (mpg/avi/etc.) on CD/DVD. So now im starting to question, what does this unit do?

Well I can tell you what it doesnt do other then above.

-It doesnt connect with my blue tooth phone but my phone connects with my other car

- Its super slow

- The voice activation sucks

- Pioneer doesnt give a crap about there customers (not unit related but usually you can base the customer service on their product)

- So if I wanted to get the movie to work I would have to buy a ipod.... thats why I bought the damn unit!!!!

So correct me if im wrong, but this to me is just a $900 GPS that plays DVD movies, I know I might sound harsh but common this cost me alot of money that I worked hard for and now nobody is standing behind the unit

Well first of all:

http://www.slashgear.com/pioneer-avic-f ... o-2111271/

DivX and MPEG4 playback not available through USB and SD card slot.

Considering a large majority of .avi files use either divx or mp4 compression I'd assume thats where the problem lies. You can export the .avi file so that it's a pure .avi file not using the divx or mp4 codec, or you can burn a cd or DVD with the data on it to watch.

Well thanks for clarifying that for me, ill try to burn a DVD tomorrow and see what happens. but either way the SD and USB is out because of the lag of the video.

I guess I was a bit angry when I made this post. Everything was going so well until some tiny things turned into bigger things.

One more question. If I decide to keep this unit and fork out the money for a ipod video will the videos from the ipod be pretty good quality on the screen? Will it be the entire screen or just the size of the ipod video screen?

I used Simple to convert my movies to AVi using divx. and they work off the SD card ( f700bt)

simple hmm never heard of this program. Also what settings/size did you use to convert your videos? Also did you notice choppy videos when watching?

Well I used my sisters ipod (make sure all your ipods are up to date or the F series wont recognize it) and put some videos on it and it looks ok. Im still kinda mad I have to buy a video ipod but ill play around with it a bit more to see if I keep this unit.

no choppy-ness at all

i even have a 1 gig movie that plays 100% fine and looks amazing!

then have a bunch of small youtube vids that i converted over to AVIs using simple... I will send you exact settings when i get home.

Wooo that would be great!!! I still cant find this simple program I have a converting program but it all uses codecs :(

thanks again!

ok well I did exactly what you told me but the video is very small on the screen. it does run smoothly but the movie size is very small so it should. Im gonna play around with the settings to see if i can get it full screen but still have no chopping and good sound.

Ohh yes ill report back to see if I can play AVI/mpeg/divx videos using a dvd or a cd as well

Brad :)

There should really be a sticky about video formats in this forum. See my post in this thread for the settings I have used successfully.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21389

For play back from SD or USB there is no point to using a frame rate higher than 24.0, a bit rate greater than 480, and an audio sample rate higher than 44100. The unit (as per the manual) cannot use it.

For the codec: MPEG4>H264>xvid.

If you use the exact settings I mention in the link within your program of choice, I think you will find it tolerable for playback. Don't expect an extremely speedy interface though unless you use an ipod/iphone for playback.

macgyver

Wow why didnt I see your post when I searched!?! Your post has alot of information! im gonna try the settings you have to see if it makes a difference.

Oh ya macgyver did you notice chopping with the SD card and settings you used?

Also I cant seem to read the files off a DVD or CD did you have any luck there? because im sure the buffer rate of a cd/dvd would be faster then usb or SD

I hate to admit it but the only other option would be a Ipod or "making" a DVD to play the videos I want