AVIC411.com

Zi in a Ford Escape

After reading some of the discusions on this forum I have decided to try to install a Z1 in my 2005 Ford Escape. I was wondering if anyone knows if it will fit in that vehicle, and if so what modifications, wiring harnesses, etc. I would need.

Also, I was wondering if I could hook-up my current Sirius radio can be "plugged" into the Z1, instead of using the lesser quality FM transmitter. This would require connecting a stereo cable into either a AUX IN or LINE IN jack in the Z1, does it have one?

Thanks for any advice you can provide I look forward to joining in on more forums.

Eric
Well I managed to get the Z1 to fit in an 04 Focus, which only has a 1 3/4 DIN slot. Still working on putting in the modifications to make it look factory, but it works rather well.

Just check the measurements of the hole you have to work with as well as getting it to show through fully.

There is an A/V input that your Sirius should be able to plug into if I'm understanding you correctly. Though since the Z1 can directly control Sirius and XM, I'd suggest trying to find an option that goes that route.

-Litos
I just installed a Z1 into my '05 Escape, so yes it will work (loooks sweet too, btw). You will need an American International FM-K552 dash kit. When you take the factory radio out you will see a lip behind the trim (at the top of the opening) and you need to trim about 1/2" of that. You would not be able to tell, even if you put the factory radio back in.

Do you have the Mach 300 Stereo? If so, you will need the Metra 70-5521 wiring harness so you can still use your factory subwoofer. If not, you will need the 70-1771 harness.

I will get a picture of it in the dash over the weekend and post it up so you can see how it looks.

I tried to connect my PnP Sirius tuner to the AUX in RCA's of the Z1 but I could never get any sound. I was running out of time that night so I switched back to FM mod (yuck) until I can investigate it further.
Mo-D, looking forward to seeing how your Z1 looks in the 2005 ford escape. I do not know what kind of radio is installed currently, it looks kind of basic, although it can hold 6 CDs inside of it. I have not seen any subwoofer. If you can E-mail me a photo of yours I would like to see it. My E-mail adrress is: edhedh65@excite.com

As far as the Sirius radio I would prefer to direct wire the one I have so I can move it from the car to car to home, as opposed to getting the Sirius module. Thanks again to all who replied
If your truck has the factory sub, it'll be in the passenger side of the cargo area. Just turn up the music and put your head back there. you'll hear it pretty clearly if you have the factorysub. There is a possiblity that the harness for your 04 will not be the 5520 though. Might be the 70-5700 if it is. THat will have a small square plug in it with left front and right front speaker wires, 2 blue white wires, and 2 black/white wires. What you'd want to do is solder rca ends to the left front and right front speaker wires on the plug. Then combine the blue/white wires and solder a 2.2k resistor to one end and the other end of the resistor would go to the amp turn on wire of the z1. Finally the black/white wires will get grounded. Any more info you need drop a line.
The Mach radio in my '05 says "MACH 300" on the little door that covers the CD slot. Just look for that. Also, on the sub, it's in the side panel, passenger side, of the "trunk" area. It's a perforated grill that says "MACH 300" at the bottom, same color as the interior panel.
MO-D,

It looks like I do not have the Mach sterio with a subwoofer. That siad I think I need the other wiring harnness. Anything else you can think of that I need to bring to an installer besides the harness and the face plate you described? hopefully the installer will be able to make it fit as good as yours as you described. Also, do you have any photos of yours, I would like to bring it with me to show them how it should look. Did you get your Serius radio to work via the Aux in on the Z1. Thanks for your advice, I really need it.

Eric
Ok, here are some quick pictures. This is with the install kit in the #2 position (depth. You'll see what I mean when you get the kit). You can still go a little deeper if you like (one more position).

I haven't messed with the AUX in any more yet. I plugged Sirius' RCA out into the AUX IN RCAs on the Z1 and turned it on in the settings menu, but I got no sound. I plan tomess around with it some more soon, just haven't had time lately.
Mo-D

Photos look great, it looks like a factory install. I take it that is with the American International FM-k552 dash kit. Thanks again and let me know how you make out with the Sirius radio becuase I am planning on having an external Sirius radio as well so I can move it from the car to the house.

Eric
Yes, that kit is all I had to use for mounting the unit. You can actually take your factory radio out, trim the plastic inside the dash I spoke of earlier, and install the Z1 w/kit without taking off the bezel (the silver piece that holds the vents and switches and knobs. But, if you want to take the radio back out you have to take the bezel off.

I clipped the microphone to the edge of the headliner right beside the little overhead console that has the two lights, the little compartment for the garage door opener and the moonroof switch. I just tucked the wire inside the headliner and over to the passenger side and came down the pillar behind all the trim. You can get it through to the area behind the glovebox after you pull down the rubber door moulding. I put the GPS antenna at the rear of the roof and ran the cable around and into the moulding at the side of the rear hatch opening. I then ran it along inside the headliner trim to the front and met up with the microphone cable.

if you are having someone else install it, make sure he solders and heat shrinks all the wires from the h/u to the harness, don't accept butt connectors. The wiring is very straightforward, so he shouldn't have to be making any changes to his wiring.

One word of advice on the dash kit. If you use the rounded head screws, the radio will not slide into the dash (wanna guess how I know that? LOL), but the flat beveled screws are barely to short. I had to use the rounded screws to make indentions in the plastic of the kit and then use the other screws. I guess you could go to the store and find some screws with the same head, just longer. It was too late when I was doing mine, so I improvised. I used 4 screws in each side of the radio/dash kit. Some might say it's overkill, but I didn't want that much $$$$ banging around in the dash ;)
  • 1 month later...
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm trying to install a D2 in an escape, should be the same as installing the z1 in this thread. I know which harness i need, but in this thread it was mentioned to use the American International FM-K552 dash kit. When I look up this dash kit online, I see a picture of it that has a thin, horizontal piece of black plastic between the 2 din slots. To install a double din unit, do you just dremel out this piece of plastic so its one big slot instead of 2 slots?
Good to know, thanks guys. Which wiring harness will I need. On metras website they only have models listed up to 2006 but I have the 2007 model? And on crutchfield they list 2 different ones, dependent on whether or not you have the MACH audio system, but on Fords website, they don't even list the mach audio system as one of the options when you try build your own escape, so i think crutchfield just continued their info from 2006. Ford lists 4 options for the stereo:

1) AM/FM 6-Disc in dash, 4 speaker (mp3 and sat capable)
2) AM/FM Single CD and Cassette, 4 Speakers, (mp3 and sat capable)
3) Audiophile (320 watt) 6 Disc In Dash, 7 Speakers, (mp3 and sat capable)
4) AM/FM 6-Disc in Dash with 4 speakers

Could anyone find out which wiring harness you would need for each of these set-ups, no one seems to know, not even over on the escape-central boards. Thanks guys