AVIC411.com

cleaning the screen ??

I'm sure this is going to get wide range of answers but for me the best and non destructive way is to use damp microfiber towel and gently clean the screen and while it's still wet use a dry one to dry the screen.

Since you are not cleaning the actual LCD but rather touchscreen glass I don't think you can do much damage but if you do use products with alcohol it might permanently streak it. I've seen people do this on our old $25K imaging monitors :shock:

Use a non-abrasive, non-caustic cleaner to lightly dampen applied to a 100% or microfiber towel.

The only thing that will do damage is an abrasive cleaner or towel that will scratch the surface, a caustic cleaner that will discolor, or too much moisture which will damage the electronics.

I typically use water, which is plenty to remove fingerprints and oils from the screen.

I don't know if I would use Invisible Glass on my LCD's but I love that stuff and use it on the car to clean anything.

Surely it is less harsh than alcohol?

I didn't say I would use alcohol ... EVER :lol:

I'd rather use IG than any other cleaning solution, manufacturer "approved" or not. Clean warm water is all I would use.

You can find all sorts of products to clean your screen. I would however NEVER use any type of glass cleaner (Even invisible glass).

If your trying to clean off dust on the screen than a damp microfiber cloth should do the trick. Then dry it with another microfiber cloth that's dry.

If your screens got alot of oily fingerprints/soda sputters then you'll want to buy a little bottle of LCD screen cleaner (you can pick this up in staples, office depot, best buy, in the laptop section or for a bigger bottle of the stuff check the LCD TV sections of your local tv retailer), and bust out the microfiber cloth I talked about before. (http://www.klearscreen.com/SearchResult ... egoryID=53 is an example).

The whole idea behind the cleaning liquid is to provide some sort of cleaning solution to the screen which will allow for the removal of any spots/stains with out you applying too much pressure and causing the LCD screen to rupture and bleed into other nearby areas.

You want to make sure the cleaner you buy is alchol & amonia free or it could damage the screen either immediately or over time (depending on the alchol/amonia ratio in the product).

Using a damp microfiber cloth (damp with warm water) can typically remove most of the dirt and grime from a screen like this, but on rare occasions (if your avic is near a cup holder for instance) you might need the cleaner to remove something thats a little more difficult to get out.