AVIC411.com

f90bt and 9 speaker question

ive looked through the majority of the posts here and could not find anything on this, so forgive me if i just over looked it.

i have a 2003 saab 9-5 with the 9 speaker sound system, 2 of the speakers being subwoofers. ive been comparing prices back and forth between best buy and a local audio shop for just about a month now and not until yesterday someone at best buy told me that only 4 of my speakers would work once i switched from the stock head unit to the f90bt. is this true? ive talked to at least 5 different people about this who all knew that i had 9 speakers and losing 5 of those speakers was never mentioned. i understand that theres only 4 pre outs in the back of the unit, so why couldn't the stock amp just be hooked up to the f90 and the amp can power all of my speakers

sorry if thats confusing, i was kind of brain storming as i was typing, so i guess to get to the point, im really wondering if its possible to get all 9 of my speakers to work without buying any other aftermarket equipment.

I'm not that familiar with Saab's audio systems, so hopefully one of the installers on this site will see your thread.

Realistically though, you don't actually have 9 separate channels of audio in your car. OEM manufacturers usually count a passively networked midbass and tweeter as two separate speakers, even though they are powered from one channel of amplification. I would guess that you have components up front, coaxials in the rear, a center channel in the dash and two "subs" in the back.

If Saab uses an external amplifier you can just hook the F-Series up to it and you'll be set. I would guess that's how it is setup, as having that much amplification in a headunit is very unlikely.

It totally depends on how the factory stereo is setup. Manufacturers do weird things, so unless you're intimately familiar with the Saab stereo, you're not going to know.

That's why you're going to a high-end car audio shop that will hopefully have experience with your car make and model.