AVIC411.com

F900BT -VSS Speed signal not received??

Hi

Had my new F900BT installed by a dealer today and suspect the unit is not receiving speed pulse signal from the car.

Hope some of you can help me to determine for sure before I go back to the dealer..

-When entering a tunnel, the speed reading freezes at the speed I had entering the tunnel and remains frozen for about 30 sec. until the NAVI says "GPS signal lost". Speed then goes to zero and stays there until GPS signal is received again on exiting the tunnel.

-When entering a tunnel or an underground parking facility with the and stoping when out of sattelite range, the car is still moving on the map for approx 30 sec and "GPS signal lost" is heared over the speakers. Car then moves to the outside of tunnel.

Thanks for any help :P

Is it safe to assume that my speed pulse wire is not (properly) connected, and the unit is not receiving a signal??

Are you guys with 90's and 900's getting a speed reading in tunnels??

Any way the speed pulse signal can be viewed on the screen??

No, it's not safe to assume the VSS lead isn't connected based on the information you provided.

We have no way of knowing what type of dead-reckoning is used in the F-Series, if any. It could be that without a GPS update the F-Series just stops tracking, regardless of what the speed pulse and gyroscope/compass are saying.

The best way to know for sure would be to stick a meter on the wire used to provide the speed signal to see what its output is with varying speed.

Hi and thanks for your reply!'

Question: Do you on your unit see variable speed in your route info box when GPS is not received??

I thought the point of having the VSS input was so the unit can keep track in tunnels etc. when no GPS signal is present...??

We have serverlal long tunnels that have junktions and multiple exits in Oslo. Cars i have driven with OEM navis tell me when to take an exit inside a long tunnel and also shows the car in the right place after the exit is made and I have joined the connecting tunnel.

Tried the 900 in the same tunnels the OEM as the OEM units, but it stalls after 20-30 seconds and puts the car at the entry of the tunnel until GPS signal is received again....

Question: Do you on your unit see variable speed in your route info box when GPS is not received??

I have a 700, which doesn't have a VSS connection, so any information I offer won't be very valuable to you.

I thought the point of having the VSS input was so the unit can keep track in tunnels etc. when no GPS signal is present...??

That is one of the advantages of dead-reckoning (the process by which the navigation system calculates your current position based on your last known position and the direction and speed you are currently traveling).

But there are lots of things about the F-Series that are counter intuitive, so while I agree that Pioneer should have set it up to make use of that information when it doesn't have a GPS connection, unless someone from the inside tells us, there's no way to know that's how they did it.

We have serverlal long tunnels that have junktions and multiple exits in Oslo. Cars i have driven with OEM navis tell me when to take an exit inside a long tunnel and also shows the car in the right place after the exit is made and I have joined the connecting tunnel.

Tried the 900 in the same tunnels the OEM as the OEM units, but it stalls after 20-30 seconds and puts the car at the entry of the tunnel until GPS signal is received again....

I've been to Oslo and driven through those tunnels. I would hope that Pioneer set the F-Series up to perform in those conditions (at least the F900 & F90), and it certainly sounds like it doesn't have a VSS connection based on your description.

The good news is there's an issue way to resolve this. Put a meter on the wire used for VSS signal and see if the voltage varies with the speed of the car.

Yes, your description indicates that the VSS signal is not correctly connected. Please note that you can't tell much with a voltmeter because this is a digital pulse signal. With VSS correctly connected, your speed reading will continue even when the GPS signal is lost. This is based on an F90BT, I assume the 900 is about the same.