AVIC411.com

F-Series 3.0 update coming? Wondering what's in it...

Hey gang, just wanted to chime in. My buddy has been managing a major (local) car audio dealership for the past 18 years. His Pioneer rep actually brought a functioning BT90 with a beta of 3.0 running on it. He said it ran extremely fast - especially compared to 2.0 - as there was no noticable delay when selecting menues/buttons. This was about a month ago and his rep said that it was still in development, so he couldn't elaborate more on any additional features. He did say that the map update included makes the update take considerably longer than 2.0 did (understandibly).. When I asked about any new features, he said he wasn't shown any as his rep was reluctant to let him see the beta at all. He also said that there will be new hardware as well, but the software update will be for the current F-series too. He stated that the new hardware would introduce some refiinements and possible new features that the current F-series does not have (perhaps BT A2DP)? Anywho, that's all I've got.

Very nice information, thanks! Now, here's to hoping that all of my hacks will still work.... :?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem! I'm pretty excited too. I went into the shop hoping to get an update on any new hardware being announced (as I was ready to update) but got the skinny on the next major OS update instead. He was fairly certain that there will be a charge involved in the update offered this time, but that's because of the map update info (license fees, etc). No matter - I planned on paying for a map update anyway. If I get some OS tweaks along with it, I'd be a happier camper. I love my F90BT - one of the best head units I've ever owned!

So the million dollar question is how much of the reported speed increase is due to the 3.0 FW vs the new HW. It will be interesting to see whether the FW can make a noticeable improvement by itself. My guess is that faster HW will be required for any significant improvement.

how much does everybody expect the update to cost?

and do you think it'll be a download version on an sd card? and maybe we can share it :twisted:

I've seen map updates in the past sell for in excess of $100 USD, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was around that price point. I also agree with the poster above, as I wonder how much of speed increase is due to new hardware..? My buddy was under the impression that he was being shown the new OS on an old 90BT, but who knows for sure!?

how much does everybody expect the update to cost?

and do you think it'll be a download version on an sd card? and maybe we can share it :twisted:

I've seen map updates in the past sell for in excess of $100 USD, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was around that price point. I also agree with the poster above, as I wonder how much of speed increase is due to new hardware..? My buddy was under the impression that he was being shown the new OS on an old 90BT, but who knows for sure!?

from the map updates youve seen, what format are they in? cd? dvd? sd?

:from the map updates youve seen, what format are they in? cd? dvd? sd?

I have no idea what format the update will come in for the F-series. Could be a download from Pioneer's website that one would burn onto a CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, or simply slap on a USB flashdrive or SD card. The last OS update was a download that you loaded onto a USB flashdrive or SD card (512 Megs or larger), but that was just a firmware update. One could assume if the next release is map data *AND* a firmware update, since the map data on the F-series is the content of 2 DVD's compressed down to fit onto the F-series internal flash drive... I have no idea how the upgrade process will go.

*shrugs*

Map updates for previous units ran about $250 for the disks that included fw update as well. I suspect close to that price

I don't think Pioneer should charge for the Firmware updates. I understand the Maps data but Firmware should be free since it is fixing a product that still has so many issues. Issues that were not resolved with the previous 2.0 Firmware update. I would gladly pay for the maps but if Pioneer charges for the firmware, they will loose this customer for life.

Its been stated over and over that its the maps that you are going to be charged for!!

I have stated as well that I don't mind paying for the Maps... it is the Firmware I have a problem with paying. That's like Microsoft charging you every time a update is released for Windows. We are not talking about a complete OS change like Windows 2000 to XP or Vista and even if they did, in this instance they have a product that is buggy.

Its been stated over and over that its the maps that you are going to be charged for!!

I have stated as well that I don't mind paying for the Maps... it is the Firmware I have a problem with paying. That's like Microsoft charging you every time a update is released for Windows. We are not talking about a complete OS change like Windows 2000 to XP or Vista and even if they did, in this instance they have a product that is buggy.

microsoft might not be a good example, Vista is very buggy for alot of people, and microsoft solution is......... Windows 7... wich you will have to buy (microsoft even said that vista was just a buffer in between XP in Win7)

microsoft might not be a good example, Vista is very buggy for alot of people, and microsoft solution is......... Windows 7... wich you will have to buy (microsoft even said that vista was just a buffer in between XP in Win7)

Yes that maybe but you still get free updates on patches, bug fixes etc. and that is the point. They don't charge for patches... I don't know about you but I get them for free. Pioneer is not coming out with a new product (F-Series), they are simply fixing the current device that have been sold.