AVIC411.com

Do I need the ND-G500?

I just bought a F500bt and it will arrive in a few days. My stereo has an auxillary input. So my question is, is there any additional functionality you get from having the ND-G500, or is it just there to integrate with OEM stereos? I downloaded the manual for the F500 and for the ND-G500, but they are both sparse in information.

I just bought a F500bt and it will arrive in a few days. My stereo has an auxillary input. So my question is, is there any additional functionality you get from having the ND-G500, or is it just there to integrate with OEM stereos? I downloaded the manual for the F500 and for the ND-G500, but they are both sparse in information.

The ND-G500 is primarily to integrate the F500BT with OEM radio's. It also functions as a power supply for the F500BT and as a mute box to mute the radio when navigation instructions are spoken.

You can use the auxiliary input from your stereo to amplify the F500BT but you will probably have to use a ground loop isolator to eliminate hum. Besides that the output signal of the F500BT is pretty weak so you have to turn up the volume of your stereo quite a bit and don't forget to turn the volume down before switching to another source.

It hooks up between the radio and the speakers, right? So the 50wx4 output is just going to be used for F500 sound and for everything else it basically acts as a bridge, passing the radio's signal straight down the wire...unless I'm talking in which case it essentially cuts that connection off. So I guess the 2 benefits are a) Muting but something I didn't think about until just now is 2) being able to hear directions while still listening to the radio. Otherwise I'd have to have it on Aux input for directions and wouldn't hear anything else in the meantime. Duh, I totally need it. Thanks. :)

It hooks up between the radio and the speakers, right? So the 50wx4 output is just going to be used for F500 sound and for everything else it basically acts as a bridge, passing the radio's signal straight down the wire...unless I'm talking in which case it essentially cuts that connection off. So I guess the 2 benefits are a) Muting but something I didn't think about until just now is 2) being able to hear directions while still listening to the radio. Otherwise I'd have to have it on Aux input for directions and wouldn't hear anything else in the meantime. Duh, I totally need it. Thanks. :)

I have a brand new ND-G500 for sale :P

My opinion... get the amp. Unless you're already using slave power amps in your system, I can't think of a reason not to. Without the amp, you might face a string of integration tweaks, and still hit a wall here and there. With the amp, all the features integrate smoothly. Pretty much all you have to do is balance the "master volume" and "voice volume" levels to your preference.