AVIC411.com

Voice Commands not responding

Hey everyone. Last week, my VR stopped working. When I press the Multi-Control button while listening to IPOD instead of allowing me to say a voice command it just mutes the system. I then have no control of the screen unless I press the Menu button. I then have to turn my truck off and start it again to have volume and touch control of IPOD screen. I've fiddled with settings, but can't figure it out. Anybody know what's up? Help would be much appreciated!!

Hey everyone. Last week, my VR stopped working. When I press the Multi-Control button while listening to IPOD instead of allowing me to say a voice command it just mutes the system. I then have no control of the screen unless I press the Menu button. I then have to turn my truck off and start it again to have volume and touch control of IPOD screen. I've fiddled with settings, but can't figure it out. Anybody know what's up? Help would be much appreciated!!

A light press of the button is VR activate, a press and hold of the button is Mute, is it possible it's getting stuck when pressed? or maybe with gloves in the winter you're pressing and holding harder now? (just thinking out loud)

Thanks for your response diane. I will try a lighter touch and see what happens. I never had any problems before. I can throw out the glove theory just because it's been in the 70's here in oklahoma city. If there is a chance it is sticking I wonder how to get it unstuck? WD40? J/K.

I have this exact same problem on my F90BT. I have yet to figure out a solution but I think it is related to "updating Ipod VR" problems. Here are my observations:

1) HU in a F350 desiel, so it gets rebooted in the middle of start up everytime truck is started.

2) ipod 80 gig appeared to update VR lib first time but since then whenever VR update is turned on, get the never ending "update in progress" message.

3) If I try "short" button push for VR or "long" push for mute with VR update turned on, the system locks up as described by ostate04, and the only way to get out of it is to switch the key off. Also, even if I turn VR update off, the above still happens when pushing the multibutton.

4) If I press the reset button (upper left corner of unit) and turn off VR update, I can then press and hold multibutton and the mute function works, however, if I try a short push for VR nothing happens (I can't even get it to work for hands free phone stuff). Except if my ipod is connected then it will lock everything up again and inorder to get functionality back you have to key switch and then press the reset to get mute to work.

So, it seems to me that the VR update of my ipod got f'd up (most likely because of the power cycle when starting the truck after waiting for the glow plugs) and now it won't clear or overwrite the screwed up VR file. I tried my older ipod thicking that maybe a totally different one would "wake it up" so to speak, but unfortunately my older ipod is "this version of ipod is not supported". I'm thinking aboout erasing and reinitializing my 80gig ipod and seeing if that will be enough to get the F90 to overwrite the VR file. Although the fact that it's not working for the phone side either makes my think that I need to figure out a complete system reset. I haven't tried reseting the nav stuff to "factory defaults" yet.

Its annoying to me, that it's not working, but's not enough of pain that I'm like messing with it constantly to figure it out. I pretty much just leave the VR update set to off and the mute works, I'm kinda waiting to see if they come out with the system 3.0 update people keep talking about to see if that helps. If I ever do get it working my plan is to not leave VR update turned on, I will only turn it on when I know I have changed something on the ipod, plus to never have it set to on with an ipod connected and start the truck (cycle power).

Paulc, That is the exact same thing that's going on with mine. It started out a couple weeks ago as saying "VR update in progress". Then instead of saying "VR is complete," it just stayed like that for 20 minutes or so and then said something like "VR update could not be completed." So i turned the VR catalog mode to OFF. After this is when the crap with the multi control button started happening. You press it and it mutes the volume and the whole screen locks up and the only way to get out of it is to press Menu. Like I stated before the only way to get volume back is to turn my truck(07 F-150) off and start it back up. It's pretty f@*king annoying. Especially when the VR was one of the main reasons I bought the unit. I've only had the unit in for about 6 weeks. I wish somebody knew what was going on???? I'm going to try my fiance's ipod after work to just see if that might reset something on the unit?

Same problem here. Couldn't describe it better. I just installed this 4 days ago and this is happening. Have been looking for a fix but no luck, searched everywhere. I even let my stereo on for about an hour and the VR dictionary never finished updating (on a 2gb iPod, WTF). Any help is appreciated!!!

Same problem here. Couldn't describe it better. I just installed this 4 days ago and this is happening. Have been looking for a fix but no luck, searched everywhere. I even let my stereo on for about an hour and the VR dictionary never finished updating (on a 2gb iPod, WTF). Any help is appreciated!!!

Well, i tried another ipod(2G) last night and still the same old crap. "Updating VR Dictionary. Please Wait." Stayed like that for 30 minutes. Went to turn unit off and says "Information to retreive voice activation could not be received." So I guess it's not an ipod issue. :x

This SUX!! I was looking to buy another Ipod but it seems like the issue will still be there! I also tried to hook up my iPhone @G with 2.2 FW and it recognized it and I could play the videos on it for about 10 minutes then the unit (F90) rebooted. I think there is something wrong with my unit, would you recommend me try to reload the 2.0 software update? I am not sure if this will help at all but I am running out of options here. :roll:

I had the same problem, it started ofter i hooked my ZUNE up to the usb cord.... anyways I called pioneer and they told me I has to send it back in to them. But, i bought it on Ebay and they would not warranty it even though its brand new. So the store on Ebay took it back and shipped me a new unit... (thank god) So bottom line is your gonna send it back into pioneer. sorry :(

no new news to report, same old problem. I too bought off of ebay, so I think I'll just sit on it until the next update comes out and hope that some how fixes it. I think that for some reason it can't over write the VR file. I wonder if we can manually delete the file via this testmode hacking stuff. I've been reluctant to play with it cause I'm not very good at that kinda of stuff. :(

Can't you guys just restore the software back to factory?

If you did not back up your system files (I am unsure why you wouldn't) I am sure you can get them from some one here.

If it is a software glitch this has to fix it. Unless it is a hardware thing.

my f90 is completely stock, as is, out of the box with v2.0 software. I have never even put an SD card in the slot. but I guess I could try down loading the 2.0 software and "reloading" it to see if that fixes it.

I was thinking of restoring all the files as it was out of the box. My thought is something in the software config got corrupted and a FULL restore would fix it hopefully.

I am unsure just a 2.0 update will do as the corruption may still be there. I would get a factory FULL system backup and restore to that.

The very first thing I did was backup the entire system to a folder on my SD card.