AVIC411.com

Avic D2 fitment in VW???

Crutchfield says it won't fit Volkswagen Jetta or Passat (2002-2005) that utilize double din Monsoon headunits. Yet, I'm certain I've seen Jettas with these installed. I have a Passat, does anyone know if it will work?

I'm sure it will fit but my concern is that there will be a gap around the unit because the double din space is slightly bigger than the actual hu.
[quote name="PBRme"]Have you tried enfig.com? Christian has all sorts of kits, and assistance when it comes to install in VAG cars. I don't see why it wouldn't fit. Plenty of people are rockin it.[/quote]

well, i know it'll fit, but it's a matter of how well it'll fit. vw double din is different from other brands so often times, you'll see a gap around the headunit which depending on how anal you are might look pretty damn annoying.

i've seen few d1/d2s inside the mkiv and it looked pretty good. but even though the golf/jetta uses the same double din as passat, i'm almost inclined to say the measurement are still slightly off. reason being, i bought a single din pocket from a jetta for my passat and although it fit, the pocket almost had to bend ever so slightly to get in flushly. also, the one d2 i did see on a passat had that nasty gap i was talking about =T
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Top to bottom edge to edge what are the dimensions of the face of your stock radio? I'll measure my trim ring at work tomorrow and let you know how big that is. Though if i remember correctly the gap around the radio and dash was about 1/8" inch.[/quote]

no need, the hu arrived today and i had my local shop install it. fits nice and tight, although he had to cut some plastic behind the din (plastic piece that would secure oe radio). only "gap' that exists isn't around radio, but rather from hu to the hvac controls below it. i can live with it...

only other prob now is that i gave him instructions on how to bypass unit... ground parking brake wire and insert wire in unused slot, and ground that as well. but no luck, i get the parking brake error message and can't access navi functions while car's in motion. any ideas?
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Yeah the bypass wasn't done or wasn't done right. If the shop agreed to do it ask them NICELY to fix it.[/quote]

yeah, the guy was very cool and extremely nice and professional. he puts a lifetime warranty on his labor/install. i just can't imagine what went wrong... grounding the parking break wire is pretty straight forward. and then just take an unused wire, stick it in open slot, and ground that. maybe that came loose? or i remember reading about depending on your avic's production date, it might require a different bypass method? i never bothered to check the date on my d2...
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]THe d2 it doesn't matter. More than likely the pin probably came loose.[/quote]

ahh, too bad u live down south. if u lived up in the bergen area, i'd treat you to a few beers if u could'vej ust installed this for me to begin with (beers would be after the install, lol!).

that stupid ever so small gap bet the d2 trim ring and the hvac controls is kinda annoying me... i just wish someone could fab the same dimensions of the d2 trim, but have the bottom end extend out few cm's. =T

i'll post pix later this weekend!
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Umm so whatever happened to those pics?[/quote]

sorry, i just ended up settling for how it's currently installed. not my pix but friend has same car with same unit and looks exactly like this:

[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/dji203/passat/avicd2gap.jpg[/img]

red marks the spot... i talked to a guy who enters audio competitions and he warned me this would happen... something about how pioneer does or doesn't make for iso mounts but was getting at the point, they work best on japanese cars, not so great on vw. but he says for the effort required to fill that space with a custom trim ring isn't worth it... and i guess i agree.

it's not as bad when u look at it straight forward, only an issue when u look for the gap on an angle.