AVIC411.com

GPS looses signal when Audio is turned up

Interference can be caused by many things, 750 watts is high on the list. 22 watts can permanently damage human hearing, 750 is unbelievable, and it can cause major interference. The received signal for GPS is low power, the signal passing thru wires can be transmitted like from an antenna, and at that wattage can override the low level GPS and cause the receiver to lose it's lock. Just a possibility, but I think it is your issue.

couple things:

1. where is your gps antenna located? If it's anywhere near amps, large speakers, then the magnets and other components will undoubtedly disrupt your gps signal. you can try moving it away from these parts and see how it works.

2. the guy above makes a very strong point about the wiring. Unless the wires are shielded very well, you're going to get interference at very high voltages/currents. you can try twisting the wires, but again shielding is your best option, but i don't have any suggestions about wiring vendors that would be suitable for this application.

Also check that you have a good clean connection to power at the AVIC, and a good clean ground connection (not directly shared with the power amps). You might try adding a big capacitor between ground and constant power at the AVIC.

Fixed my problem!!

FYI if anyone else ever has this happen.

I just bought the truck used so the existing cheap ass amp wiring and RCAs were orginally used until I replaced it all with quality wiring and proper routing. GPS works like a champ now!! What a head ache though to figure out.......

Thanks for ya'lls thoughts and input

• 1 year later...

Yea, I am having the same exact problem. I haven't tested this fix yet but I hoping that it solves my problem. It was specified that 750+ watts of power can interfere with GPS signal, especially if the GPS antenna wire is crossed with a set of RCA's, but currently i am running 4000+ watts and this sounds like it very well could be my problem. I will keep everyone posted on my findings.