AVIC411.com

Thinking about buying iPod - have questions

So far I've been pretty dissatisfied with using a USB drive with my F90BT, so I was thinking about getting a 120GB iPod Classic. Before I blow the cash, I have a few questions and would really appreciate any input.

- Does the music start as soon as you start your car? Or does it have to wait for the unit to boot up?

- Does the iPod automatically turn on and off with the F90BT, or will I have to manually turn it on/off?

- Let's say I just leave my iPod in the car all the time. Does the F90BT charge it, or will I have to bring it inside periodically?

- How well does video resolution display on the F90BT if it's coming from the iPod?

Thanks so much for any answers!

- Does the music start as soon as you start your car? Or does it have to wait for the unit to boot up?

-It starts shortly after the car is turned on, a little delay, not too bad.

- Does the iPod automatically turn on and off with the F90BT, or will I have to manually turn it on/off?

-The iPod does turn on automatically, however the iPod does have to "time out" when the car is turned off, kind of like unplugging the head phones.

- Let's say I just leave my iPod in the car all the time. Does the F90BT charge it, or will I have to bring it inside periodically?

-I leave mine in the car at all times, it keeps it charged, only thing I noticed was my battery life has gone down over time from keeping it on the charger at all times, fine with me, I just use my iPhone when I am not in my car.

- How well does video resolution display on the F90BT if it's coming from the iPod?

-It is fairly good, it depends a lot on what res you ripped the movie at, movies I have from iTunes look about the same as when I play a DVD, ripped movies look a little choppy, but I also rip them to be around 500 megs each.

I drive all the time, I have the 160 myself and it is full. Being a mobile DJ I drive all over the state and end up sitting around waiting for people or for the show to start and it is nice to have all my music and videos just waiting for my. I would say do it if you feel you would watch movies and if your lazy like me and hate changing out my music or doing the mp3 DVD.

I have an Ipod Nano 4th gen

Q. Does the music start as soon as you start your car? Or does it have to wait for the unit to boot up?

A. You have to wait. It takes the same amount of time as the map when you have nav mode on... slightly faster when leave the display on ipod controls. It's on before i put my truck in drive after backing out of the driveway. I have about 80ft. of driveway.

Q. Does the iPod automatically turn on and off with the F90BT, or will I have to manually turn it on/off?

A. Yes, automatic. music starts where you left off when you turn it back on.

Q. Let's say I just leave my iPod in the car all the time. Does the F90BT charge it, or will I have to bring it inside periodically?

A. Charges while it's on. When the car is off, it stops charging. Mine is in my truck unless i'm wearing it while working out or changing music. it's never hooked to another charging source.

Q. How well does video resolution display on the F90BT if it's coming from the iPod?

A. Looks fine... slightly worse than a dvd, but not really noticeable. That could be due to the resolution of the video i was watching though, so it's possible it's as good as dvd with a better quality video... i guess i don't really know, but it was satisfactory for me anyway.

Oh... and voice control is very nice. i usually know what i want to hear and it's nice to not have to scroll through artists/playlists when i want to hear it. Especially while driving. accuracy is around 90% for me. i seem to get show artist rather than play artist when it gets things wrong, which is fine. just 2 more taps on the screen.

I also have a 120GB Classic.

It does take a few seconds, I'd say 10-15 for me, but much less time than the unit booting up.

The iPod turning on automatically is really a hit or miss with your unit. The iPod turned on every time with my previous 700 and current 90, but my fiance' has to unplug it and plug it back in with her 700 to get it to recognize the iPod.

The iPod will charge as long as the radio is on, in other words when you're driving. When the radio turns off, the iPod stops playing like if you were to pull the headphones out mid-song and will go into sleep mode, so it will not just die on you.

Here's my problem. I haven't been able to get video to play through the 120 classic. My previous 80GB video worked perfectly before it got stolen (Bastards) but with the 120 the video option is grayed out. This was the case for both the 700 and the 90.

Hope that helps!