AVIC411.com

Amplifier shuts off after going over 30 vol.

OK guys here is the set up f90bt and connects to a sony 1200watt amp or whatever it is to my kicker cvr 12's (2). Now it seems the amp is working too much and shuts off if audio is played over 30 vol on the ipod music/video, radio, and audio cd's. Now if I play movies (dvd) it will not shut off the amp. When I had a eclipse dvd unit the amp would not shut off ever. Could someone point me in the direction I need to go in?

I doubt it is the head unit. I would check one of a variety of things:

1. check the impedance at the amp. (disconnect both subs at the amp and check the ohm load) If it is below your amps recommended rating...your amp is not happy right now. If it is ok...see step 2. If it is below, rewire your subs so they are at a higher level (running them in parallel will result in a lower ohm load - two 4ohm subs will result in a 2ohm load, running them in series will result in a higher ohm load - two 4ohm subs will result in an 8ohm load)

2. Check your amps power cable, ground, fuse connections, etc. Often times the fuse at the battery will melt or cause a bad connection, especially if your amp really is drawing power to run at 1200W.

3. Check the input rating on the amp (RCA inputs) often times a 4volt input will make the amp clip.

Good luck

I don't think it's the Pre-outs, only because he had no problems with the eclipse and that had 5v pre-outs. I couldn't find any Ohm info for the Eclipse however.

Good call.

How long does it take for the amp to cut out?

Does it stay off for a bit and then come back on, or is it back on right away when the volume gets turned down?

Will it play forever on 29, but cut out once it hits 30?

Where is the amp, is there anything resting on top of it that could cause it to heat up more?

How old and beaten up (abused) are the subs?

Is it only when a hard/heavy bass note hits?