AVIC411.com

Audi Owners or anyone with installation exp.

I have a 2000 Audi A4 and was thinking about buying a F90BT, but on the crutchfield site it says all AVIC units dont fit my car........ Although i have a very large double DIN opening and all other double DIN head units say fit.

Now i was just wondering if this was a typo?... or if not is it possible to make it fit? Does anyone else out there have a 2000 Audi with an Avic head unit installed?

I was really pumped about getting this deck until i read that. So hopefully someone will have some good news for me.

• 5 months later...

What wiring harnesses did everyone use? I'm looking for an all in one unit that brings not only the speaker wiring but switched power and nav functions (speed sensor, reverse sensor, parking brake sensor). The wiring harnesses I normally see seem to only have the audio functionality.

Anyone have something else?

What wiring harnesses did everyone use? I'm looking for an all in one unit that brings not only the speaker wiring but switched power and nav functions (speed sensor, reverse sensor, parking brake sensor). The wiring harnesses I normally see seem to only have the audio functionality.

Anyone have something else?

I don't think you're likely to find a wiring harness that has speed sensor, reverse or parking brake sensor incorporated - most factory systems don't have features that incorporate those wires, so usually you have to fish around under the dash to do the hook up. (The F90BT comes with extra long wires for each of those functions so that you can route the wires to whatever point works best for making the connection.) Fortunately connecting those wires may not be critical. You only need to connect the reverse sensor if you plan to install a back-up camera and you want it to display automatically when you put the car in reverse. The speed sensor helps with Nav accuracy - particularly if you lose the satellite signal, but it's not critical (how many tunnels do you drive through?) And the parking brake wire is to make sure you don't program the Nav or watch DVDs while traveling. You can just connect that wire to ground, or do the "hardware bypass" described elsewhere on this forum. If you connect the wire to ground without doing the hardware bypass, you'll get a "nag" screen that you have to acknowledge everytime you hit 10-mph saying that your parking brake is connected incorrectly, and at that point the DVD will not play and some nav functions will be disabled (the same as when the parking brake wire is connected correctly.) That can be overcome by doing the "Software Bypass" which is also described in detail elsewhere in this forum.

Getting back to the wiring harness, I got mine (made by Metra) from Crutchfield, and it was missing pins & wires for the steering wheel controls. I called Crutchfield and they said they had no harness available with those pins in it. They must figure that too few people have the Steering wheel buttons on a Kia / Hyundai to make it worthwile to include the wires. But wouldn't it make people happier to include them - even if most people don't use them - than to not have them and have to splice wires the way I did? Just rambling now....