AVIC411.com

iPhone 3.0 Firmware not working with 900BT

I am an iPhone Dev, so I currently have access to the latest seed of the iPhone firmware. Previously, when running 2.1 my iPhone would complain that the "accessory" being connected wasn't compatible but things still worked just fine (played music, charged, etc). Now however, I don't get any message on the iPhone (other than it is charging) but the AVIC after about 10 seconds throws up a message saying "Unable to connect to iPod, please reconnect."

I've tried just about everything I could think of (disable bluetooth, enable airplane mode, fresh restart). So it looks like some of the changes Apple made with the 3.0 firmware have caused it to break compatibility with the AVIC and the iPod cables. If anyone here has contacts with Pioneer, I can supply a FEW copies of the firmware (I type in your device ID, and you can upgrade). Note that you can not downgrade back to 2.0 once you upgrade. I am not looking to just give out copies to everyone, but rather people that could actively work towards getting things up and going again.

Or if anyone has any thoughts on things to try, let me know.

I am an iPhone Dev, so I currently have access to the latest seed of the iPhone firmware. Previously, when running 2.1 my iPhone would complain that the "accessory" being connected wasn't compatible but things still worked just fine (played music, charged, etc). Now however, I don't get any message on the iPhone (other than it is charging) but the AVIC after about 10 seconds throws up a message saying "Unable to connect to iPod, please reconnect."

I've tried just about everything I could think of (disable bluetooth, enable airplane mode, fresh restart). So it looks like some of the changes Apple made with the 3.0 firmware have caused it to break compatibility with the AVIC and the iPod cables. If anyone here has contacts with Pioneer, I can supply a FEW copies of the firmware (I type in your device ID, and you can upgrade). Note that you can not downgrade back to 2.0 once you upgrade. I am not looking to just give out copies to everyone, but rather people that could actively work towards getting things up and going again.

Or if anyone has any thoughts on things to try, let me know.

Well, from the description the problem is with a pre-release version of Apple's software (which isn't particularly standard to begin with), not anything that Pioneer should be fixing...

Well, from the description the problem is with a pre-release version of Apple's software (which isn't particularly standard to begin with), not anything that Pioneer should be fixing...

Sorry if I came across as blaming anyone. My point was to just point out that on the pre-release of the Apple iPhone software (3.0), it is not compatible with the AVIC 900BT. I don't recall this incompatibility existing when Apple did the upgrade to the 2.0 software.

It very well could be that Apple is still working out bugs, and there is nothing for Pioneer to do. However, I also know that Apple is changing how devices that connect with the iPhone function (and they have opened up a bunch of APIs in the SDK to support new behaviors). Because of this, it very well could be if no update comes from Pioneer, iPhone owners could be out of luck come this June when the software is released to the general public.

Sorry if I came across as blaming anyone. My point was to just point out that on the pre-release of the Apple iPhone software (3.0), it is not compatible with the AVIC 900BT. I don't recall this incompatibility existing when Apple did the upgrade to the 2.0 software.

It very well could be that Apple is still working out bugs, and there is nothing for Pioneer to do. However, I also know that Apple is changing how devices that connect with the iPhone function (and they have opened up a bunch of APIs in the SDK to support new behaviors). Because of this, it very well could be if no update comes from Pioneer, iPhone owners could be out of luck come this June when the software is released to the general public.

Technically, there is one standard for how Bluetooth Handsfree profile is supposed to work, and whatever APIs Apple is opening up in the new upgrade, they should not have any effect on Bluetooth operation here...

Technically, there is one standard for how Bluetooth Handsfree profile is supposed to work, and whatever APIs Apple is opening up in the new upgrade, they should not have any effect on Bluetooth operation here...

Actually Apple is substantially revamping the BT in the iphone OS 3.0 and adding A2DP, and I suspect that may be causing a lot of BT-based issues around its new version.

Actually Apple is substantially revamping the BT in the iphone OS 3.0 and adding A2DP, and I suspect that may be causing a lot of BT-based issues around its new version.

That's entirely possible...

That's entirely possible...

While the above is true, my original post was in reference to the iPod cables for music playback...which doesn't use the bluetooth. Apple is revamping how devices are connected to the iPhone (and iPod Touch) via the connector. So Apple opening up APIs for the physical cable connectors could impact music playback on the AVIC.

While the above is true, my original post was in reference to the iPod cables for music playback...which doesn't use the bluetooth. Apple is revamping how devices are connected to the iPhone (and iPod Touch) via the connector. So Apple opening up APIs for the physical cable connectors could impact music playback on the AVIC.

Right... when I see phone, I think Bluetooth.

Still, if it is _Apple_ changing things around, they are the ones who have responsibility to either make it backwards compatible or to at least warn their licensees...