AVIC411.com

What's the best way to modify a trim ring?

I agree, a dremel is great for work you are not going to see. If you are going to see it though, I would use a combination of exacto knife, and sanding because it is much more precise.

Use a dremel to cut away large chunks of plastic.

Use the exacto knife for precise work or what you are going to see.

Use a file to get a nice even line

Use sandpaper to smooth it all out.

Finally, if you want to make it look factory, you could use spray paint towards the end of the sanding, shoot from about 6 -12 inches depending on the finish you want.

This is excellent advice -- thank you!

Do you think I need to prime the ABS plastic first before I paint it matte black?

Also -- is the abs plastic pretty easily cut with an exacto? I've read multiple times that it lends well to cutting, etc. I was worried about jagged edges but the sanding solves that problem. Then i worried about the scuffs that the sanding would cause, and painting solves that problem as well.

I guess I'll make a cardboard cutout first and make sure that's perfect, then I'll transfer to the DD trim ring.

I also used a Dremel but had trouble getting the small cutting wheel level enough to cut it perfectly straight. The plastic DIN opening I was cutting was in the way of it laying flat enough. It cut fine at an angel and looks crappy but it covered so looks great in the end :)