AVIC411.com

a new F700BT on the way!

Hi all,

I just ordered a new F700BT and had a few questions about swapping my current D3.

Is the install pretty much easy enough for a limited experienced installer to handle or should i let the pros do it? And if so how much should i pay for professional install?

I have a back up camera, XM radio, Steering wheel remote and ipod adapter currently, will all these work with the F700BT? (I did order a new ipod connector)

Does the phone book transfer from an iphone 3g?

Do i need a new dash kit or does it fit inside a D3 double din?

I'm not too worried about a parkin break mod yet because im sure i can do that myself as i did my D3.

Anything else i need to know?

Thanks!

Its the same wiring harness, just unplug the D3 and plug in the F700bt, although you will have to move the mute wire for the bypass because it is different for the F700bt. I hope your not like me though, I ordered the F900bt to replace my D3, and after 3 days I put the D3 back in.. lol Hope this helps

And yes you can use the same double din kit, and the contacts will transfer from the iphone 3g.

Oh no! Can i ask why you switched back to the D3? TBH i played with the F700 a bit at Best buy (who are the ones that told me i couldnt just switch out the units and would need me to pay $200 for install) and i loved the UI SOOOO much better than the D3. The D3 looks cheesy and the POI not sorting from nearest is just ridiculous. Im really excited to swap this sucker out!

No, do not pay them $200 to install, I am positive that the harnesses are the same, except for the bypass wire. Oh and I forgot to mention in the first post, The plastic connector for the GPS antenna is different, You can either replace the antenna or change the plastic connector, which is very easy, don't let that scare you. The reasons I did not like the F900bt was as follows:

1. No tracking Up in 2D navigation mode, this really bothered me.

2. Blutooth works, but was not nearly as clear as on the D3.

3. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but when your on the map screen, you have to hit 3 or 4 buttons to get back to the audio screen, i.e. ipod, xm radio, fm radio. ect.

4. When you pull into a parking lot, or maybe a dirt road, the D3 would track you no matter where you went, the F-series just gets confused and tries to place you on a road or the arrow just sits there and spins.

I guess that is about it, I guess it doesnt seems like much, but these things really bothered me.

I like the UI of the D3 better than the F-series, but since you prefer the F-series maybe you will love the unit.

I picked up an F-700bt on ebay for $250 and put it in my fiances 350z, and since she has never owned another navi unit, she doesnt have any complaints. Maybe when the 3.0 update comes out and I install it in her car, if i like it I might pick up another f900 to put in my truck.

I just removed my D3 in prep for the F700 and i broke the connecting part of the yellow/black wire for the bypass. Im thinking i can just cut it off the F700 and connect it to the existing placement? Those pins are a pain in the ass to get in!

Yes its the metal part. So if i understand correctly since i had my D3 bypassed, i only have to change the position of the black and yellow wire and im done?

Also, i ordered from pacfiic stereo for like $409. They are located in riverside and im in san diego so i am expecting 1-2 day delivery...today or tomorrow. Anyone have any reviews of them?

It came today! The install was a breeze. I didnt even have to change the connector pin and the bypass is 100% working! The only thing that i had to change was to take out the bluetooth adaptor and gps attena! It came with 2.0 and still kind of slow but i like it alot!

Thanks!