AVIC411.com

Tricky Bypass Problem

the place that installed my unit tried to bypass it and culdnt figure it out. why idk. i tried to do it my self but they spliced some wires together. the green parking break wire is spliced to a green and white wire. when i cut the wires and did the whole bypass procedure they car had all the nav buttons locked as if i was in motion. once i reconnected the parking break wire to the green and white wire the unit worked as it should. my question is can i just ground the parking break wire while its attached to the other wire and do the software bypass to make it work?

Do not ground the parking brake wire while it is attached to the other wire. That will cause your car's "brake" light to be on indefinitely, and the nav system still won't work. You probably just need to move the mute wire, that is the other step of the installation. Just grounding the parking brake wire isn't enough.

Here's the best walk-through, basically use a small flathead screwdriver or a pick to press down on the metal of the yellow mute wire that is exposed through the connector, then it should slide right out. Snap it back into the new location and reinstall.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19689

i know the process of the bypass but if i remove the parking break wire and the other wire the unit locks all the in motion buttons. what do i do with that green and white wire after i seperate it from the parking break one

Are you referring to the really long one, like the one that goes off to the left in this picture?

3060519037_dee86aa8bf_o_d.jpg

That one should be grounded, either by splicing in a chassis ground like in the picture or just splicing it into the common ground from the wire harness. If there is another cable that the installers ran from the parking brake, that one shouldn't be attached to the radio.

Basically the 3 requirements for the bypass are

1. Ground the parking brake wire

2. Move the mute wire

3. Ground the mute wire

If you've done all this, it should act as though the parking brake is always on... check your connections one more time

yes ive done all that. the wire that is attached to the parking break wire is the problem. when its just hanging after being removed from the parking break wire all the navi buttons are locked. once i re attach it to the parking break wire everything works normally.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe you have a bad ground on the wiring harness, and a good ground on the wire that the installers put in. This would make it so that when you attached the parking brake wire (from the radio) to the installer's wire, it would grounded and the bypass would work, but when you attached the parking brake wire to the ground from your car's wiring harness, it wouldn't be grounded so the bypass wouldn't work. It could also just be a bad connection between the parking brake wire and the ground wire that's causing it.

Also, just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, when you say "parking brake wire" you mean the wire from radio right? Not the one that the installers put in that is attached to your parking brake.

Alright, sometimes the wires that everybody is referring to get confused. Is it the wire from the head unit or from the harness or the one in the car?

Reading all of the bypass posts on this site can confuse you cuz people refer to things slightly different. I just got my F90BT and connected all the wires on my kitchen table and the whole thing was working with no issues in my car with an installation that took me no more than an hour and a half. Here's all you really need to know:

1. You shouldn't have to touch the REAL parking brake wire in your car. Leave it alone. If the installers connected something here, I recommend that you DISconnect it. Put it back how it was.

2. In your car, you have plugs that went directly to your stock stereo. If you have a decent harness, you don't have to even THINK about these wires.

3. You bought a decent harness, which is really nothing more than an adaptor from your new stereo to those plugs from your car - you shouldn't have to worry about or think about anything that cannot be easily placed on your kitchen table to work on. (unless you need to hook up the VSS wire, but whatever)

4. Move the mute wire ON THE NEW STEREO'S PLUG to the new location (4th pin in between the two black wires)

5. ON YOUR NEW STEREO'S plugs, put the (relocated) mute wire, the ground wire, and the parking brake wire into one side of a barrel connector.

6. The other side of the barrel connector from step #5 should connect to the BLACK WIRE ON YOUR ADAPTOR HARNESS - this is all you need to do to bypass the system.

When you have connected all of the other wires (speaker wires, power, acc, yadda yadda), all you have to do is take your new stereo out to your car and plug it in. Really - just plug it in.

Again, I know that reading all of the posts in this forum can be confusing sometimes, but trying to make sense of all of them can quickly make this seem more complicated than it really is.

"You can avoid all the possibilities of bad grounds and eliminate that green and white wire by simply moving the mute wire and splicing the light green wire and the mute wire to the radios ground (black) wire."

The problem occurs when a separate the green and white wire from the green parking break wire. the bypass wont work when these two wires are separated because the unit thinks the cars in motion and all the navi buttons are blacked out like im in motion. my question is where should the green and white wire go cuz it shouldnt be attached to the green parking break wire