AVIC411.com

Need Help Updating Maps

Okay. I'm a noob. It's late and my brain is fried.

I want to update my maps (I was able to find Canada 2008.01) but I have read so much information now I don't know where to begin. If someone with a little bit more knowledge on this topic could help me out with a little guidance to get on the right track it would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to get my hands on the 2008.04 maps for Canada but haven't been able to find them anywhere. And I'm a little confused as to licensing. Do I need to change files and if I do which ones and where do I find the replacements?

Thanks for all the help. :D

Maybe I can help with Garmin and igo8.3.2 (leetlauncher) but I also am wondering about how to update maps on the avic unit which uses igo8.0

Garmin is probably the easiest because there is just one map file, gmapsupp.img (about 1.06gb file) you then also need a gmapsupp.unl file which is the license file. These files both go in the main \Garmin directory. In there also there should be gmapbmap.img which is your base map (leet includes this) and a sw.unl file which is another license file. The two unl files are included in leet's version but they are blank/unlicensed. The maps you will want are for GarminXT.

Igo8.3.2 (leetlauncher) uses lots of different files for buildings, poi's and maps. But here is where they go:

igo8\content\building\(*.3dl & *.3dc files)

igo8\content\dem\(*.dem files)

igo8\content\map\(*.fbl files)

igo8\content\poi\(*.poi files)

There may be other skin/schemes folders there as well

Hopefully that helps, and if anyone could explain to me how to get new maps on the avic which runs igo8.0 I'd really appreciate it.

Maybe I can help with Garmin and igo8.3.2 (leetlauncher) but I also am wondering about how to update maps on the avic unit which uses igo8.0

Garmin is probably the easiest because there is just one map file, gmapsupp.img (about 1.06gb file) you then also need a gmapsupp.unl file which is the license file. These files both go in the main \Garmin directory. In there also there should be gmapbmap.img which is your base map (leet includes this) and a sw.unl file which is another license file. The two unl files are included in leet's version but they are blank/unlicensed. The maps you will want are for GarminXT.

Igo8.3.2 (leetlauncher) uses lots of different files for buildings, poi's and maps. But here is where they go:

igo8\content\building\(*.3dl & *.3dc files)

igo8\content\dem\(*.dem files)

igo8\content\map\(*.fbl files)

igo8\content\poi\(*.poi files)

There may be other skin/schemes folders there as well

Hopefully that helps, and if anyone could explain to me how to get new maps on the avic which runs igo8.0 I'd really appreciate it.

Folder structure for iGO 8.0 is the same as for iGO 8.3 except that the installation directory is APL2\IGO.

So:

APL2\igo\content\building\(*.3dl & *.3dc files)

APL2\igo\content\dem\(*.dem files)

APL2\igo\content\map\(*.fbl files)

APL2\igo\content\poi\(*.poi files)

...and if you want them

APL2\igo\content\phoneme\(*.ph files)

APL2\igo\content\speedcam\(*.txt speedcamera files)

So is there a need to change anything in the AVIC other than the map files? You guys are talking about Garmin, iGo, TomTom...

Can't we just replace the map files that we have with newer files? Which version of iGo does the AVIC use from the factory with the 2.0 firmware installed?

I guess it's a bit confusing because there doesn't seem to be any easy walkthrough on how to update maps. Every post I find jumps right into "try this license file..." or "use the 8.0 maps and not the 8.3 maps" or "the 3dl files from 8.0 work in 8.3" or something. ...WHAT license file? Where do I put this license file? Why do I need a license file? Why does this license file work and others don't?

Thanks Borism, it should be relatively straight forward. Just put the files in the corresponding folders while in test mode.

But the license file is a good point. I'm using CHM's mods right now which I know has EZrider hacked but I'm not sure about the license file. Maybe the "hacked" EZrider just means updated licenses because he says you should be able to use buildings and foreign maps.

Oh and the most current maps I've been able to find are 2008.1 for igo8.0. I did see 2008.4 but all the links were dead.

Thanks Borism, it should be relatively straight forward. Just put the files in the corresponding folders while in test mode.

But the license file is a good point. I'm using CHM's mods right now which I know has EZrider hacked but I'm not sure about the license file. Maybe the "hacked" EZrider just means updated licenses because he says you should be able to use buildings and foreign maps.

Oh and the most current maps I've been able to find are 2008.1 for igo8.0. I did see 2008.4 but all the links were dead.

Not quite. Hacked EZRider is an actual iGO executable that has been modified to work with any iGO license file, not only the one produced for Pioneer. It still needs different license files to access 3Ð’ buildings, newer maps, etc.

So is there a need to change anything in the AVIC other than the map files? You guys are talking about Garmin, iGo, TomTom...

Can't we just replace the map files that we have with newer files? Which version of iGo does the AVIC use from the factory with the 2.0 firmware installed?

I guess it's a bit confusing because there doesn't seem to be any easy walkthrough on how to update maps. Every post I find jumps right into "try this license file..." or "use the 8.0 maps and not the 8.3 maps" or "the 3dl files from 8.0 work in 8.3" or something. ...WHAT license file? Where do I put this license file? Why do I need a license file? Why does this license file work and others don't?

License file tells iGO that this particular content is authorized for this particular installation of iGO. It is located in

APL2\IGO\LICENSE folder. It does not hurt to have more than one license file there.

Lots of help in these last few posts... Thanks!

I've successfully installed the iGo 8.3 software and maps, as well as the GarminXT software and maps into LeetLauncher... but the TomTom maps still escape me. When we get these ironed out, please post a tut here. Thanks again!

Lots of help in these last few posts... Thanks!

I've successfully installed the iGo 8.3 software and maps, as well as the GarminXT software and maps into LeetLauncher... but the TomTom maps still escape me. When we get these ironed out, please post a tut here. Thanks again!

Glad to hear you got it working! I haven't even attempted tomtom... but I will need to start if the loss of GPS signal while using GarminXT isn't fixed.

I also found a license file on here, but only one: Asbis_PNA_EEU@0807_(NNG+TA,_WEUMRE)_ASBISGPS450.lic

This seemed to be the file that worked for others, but if it doesn't work I'm not really sure where to go for more. This one came from an ir.zip file.

Okay. I have managed to get the most recent Canada maps I could find (2008.1) installed on the AVIC. Works great. :D I used Cmh928 mod 4.5.09 then installed my map into the directory on the AVIC. No messing with licenses. Just cut, paste and go. Now if someone can find newer versions of the Canadian maps that would be fantastic. 2008.1 fixed some issues, but I am still missing a highway that opened last summer, and it drives me nuts.

Does anyone know if iGo R3 maps will work with the AVIC? If so I may have solved my problem. I'm waiting on rapidshare (Am I the only one who hates using this damn service?) and will try the maps unless anyone advises me against it.

Thanks

Okay. I have managed to get the most recent Canada maps I could find (2008.1) installed on the AVIC. Works great. :D I used Cmh928 mod 4.5.09 then installed my map into the directory on the AVIC. No messing with licenses. Just cut, paste and go. Now if someone can find newer versions of the Canadian maps that would be fantastic. 2008.1 fixed some issues, but I am still missing a highway that opened last summer, and it drives me nuts.

Does anyone know if iGo R3 maps will work with the AVIC? If so I may have solved my problem. I'm waiting on rapidshare (Am I the only one who hates using this damn service?) and will try the maps unless anyone advises me against it.

Thanks

the R# won't work with our unit, search for 2007.07 mpas in the hacks forum and you'll find 2008.4 maps