AVIC411.com

General: Bluetooth performance, sunlight, misc

Hey guys, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 90BT for my 06 Altima and just wanted to toss out a few questions/observations.

Bluetooth: There seems to be really mixed reports about how well bluetooth works with these units. I've seen a lot of people say they get extremely clear calls while others say it's terrible. Could it be down to the placement of the microphone? Is there a consensus on great places to put it? Is the visor fine or are there better places for a great, clear reception?

Sunlight/heat: My car spends most of the daylight hours in direct Texas sunlight. It's going to get 110+ Imuch more if I forget to crack the windows. My last portable GPS bit the dust and its very likely due to heat. Has anyone experienced damage to the unit due to heat? is it covered in the warranty? What about the direct sunlight on the screen? Not for viewing really, but as in, does constant direct sunlight damage the screen at all?

Security: Any general tips to avoid having the thing jump out of the dash and right through a window? :) I park in a garage at night and in a fairly safe neighborhood during the day so Im not too worried about it.

Anyways. Thanks folks :) Im looking forward to getting this thing very soon :)

I am now on my second F90BT with my new car. The bluetooth quality between the two units is like night and day. In my last car I got constant complaints that people could not here me very well. In my new car people tell me that they can not even tell I'm not talking directly into the phone, even with my windows and sunroof open they say I sound like I am on the phone itself. Both units are 2.0 software and the mic is installed in the same location next to my rear view mirror.

The only single problem I have with my phone connectivity is that the F90BT does not understand what I'm saying when I'm telling it to call somebody. Once on a call, the opinions that I have received are good - seems like it's working great. Now, while I am unable to place a VR call by the name of my contact, it DOES however seem to work amazingly well if I just say the number I'm trying to call: "Call 8005551212" and it does it - so I think it's a quirk with the VR software.

Regarding sunlight, I don't know how it will affect the life of the unit, so you'll have to wait for another response for that. But I *am* surprised by how well the screen still looks when there is direct sunlight on it. And I don't live in Seattle - I live in southern California.

Regarding vehicle theft, short of doing something tacky like hanging a towel off of your dash, I don't know if there's anything you can do... Maybe get a vinyl sticker of a bullethole that you Texans seem to like so much and stick it on there every time you get out of your car! On the plus side, I have read multiple stories lately about car stereo theft being way down - cuz stock head units don't suck any more. Here's a quote from an NPR article:

It's a crime that plagued car owners throughout the 1990s. But according to the FBI's latest crime report, car stereo thefts have fallen by more than half over the past 15 years, from more than a million in 1994 to just over 400,000, even as car theft rates have remained high.

Security: Any general tips to avoid having the thing jump out of the dash and right through a window? :) I park in a garage at night and in a fairly safe neighborhood during the day so Im not too worried about it.

Two things,

(1) tinted windows (this will also help with the heat)

(2) full coverage auto insurance (people do still steal radios)

I am in Buffalo, so the sun is not as strong as Texas, but I still have tinted windows and put a up sun shade when I leave the car parked in direct sunlight.

The sunshade keeps the interior at least 20°F cooler on a hot (86°F was last year's record) sunny day.

I have not had the unit in the summer, yet, but the screen does not come on until the cabin temprature is above 10°F or so, after sitting in sub zero weather all night.

I ordered the F700bt this morning from amazon (6ave) and it should be here in a few days. I can't wait :) In the end I couldn't make myself spend the extra on the 90bt for the DVD player. We'll really test out the fire resistance of this thing when the summer kicks in. I wonder if melting is covered under Pioneer's warranty.

Edit: It will probably hit 110F at least once and will probably stay well above 100 for much of the summer.

my cousin saw an infomercial for this thing that you stick into your window and it has a solar panel that powers a small fan that suck the heat right out, he bought two of them, one for each side, and he says they actually work.

my cousin saw an infomercial for this thing that you stick into your window and it has a solar panel that powers a small fan that suck the heat right out, he bought two of them, one for each side, and he says they actually work.

I've seen independant testing to show that they don't. The fan does not move nearly enough air to make a difference.