AVIC411.com

Stereo Bluetooth

I was wondering this too. I found the following information in the f700bt manual, page 191, from Pioneer's website .

Bluetooth

Version ...............Bluetooth 1.2 certified

Output Power ........+4dBm Max

(Power class 2)

When I searched the web I found conflicting results as to whether or not audio could be streamed. Perhaps someone with a better handle on Bluetooth profiles could answer this question based on the information given above.

The AVIC F-series does not currently do A2DP audio streaming for existing phones that do it, so i can't see it all of a sudden doing it for the iphone.

One big minus is the huge hit you would take in phone battery life if you were constantly A2DP streaming off it.

Bluetooth 1.2 should work with streaming audio. I don't think the hardware in the unit is the issue. I think the issue is in the Bluetooth Stack that the unit is using. It doesn't have the A2DP protocols built into it. Now, here's where I'm fuzzy: The F-series runs off a Windows CE OS, and Windows CE has A2DP built into it's BT Stack. That leads me to believe one of 2 things.

1 - The unit uses something Parrot put together for the bluetooth functionality, and that might be a proprietary stack. Know how some cell phones work with BT head units and some don't? That's because the BT stack doesn't speak the same language as the HU. A better example of this was my old Samsung Blackjack would connect to my Pioneer unit, but wouldn't transfer the contacts. I come to find out Samsung used a proprietary stack that wasn't compatible.

2 - Pioneer reformatted or changed the Windows CE stack to remove the A2DP functionality. This is the one I'm actually leaning toward, since my single DIN Pioneer HU in my Jeep does A2DP just fine.

If I'm right on #2, then maybe the folks who are looking at hacking these units shouldn't be killing themselves trying to find add ons, etc. It might be as simple as replacing the BT stack on the F-series with the Windows CE standard one. Granted, I'm nowhere near an expert on this. My experience with BT Stacks is reading the Cell Phone junkies at XDA Developers talk about extracting the stack from one ROM for another ROM when cooking up things for Windows Mobile phones...which is essentially Windows CE.