AVIC411.com

Finally had it with F900BT... What to get next?

I'm sad to say that I'm looking to replace my F900BT. I've been driving my summer car (AVIC-Z2 equipped) the last couple weeks since the weather warmed up, and it has made the shortcomings of the F900 all too apparent. I'm tired of the overall sluggishness, incessant ramblings of the NAV voice, and the poor traffic data from MS. I will miss the hackable customization, the screen, and many other things about the unit, but it has to go.

So my question is, what should I move to? Ideally I'd like a Z2/Z3 with the ipod controls of the F900BT. Since that doesn't exist, I'm going to have to make a compromise of some sort. I really like the speed and menus in my Z2, but the Ipod controls are ridiculously slow. Is there another unit from another manufacturer with similar Ipod controls to the F900, but with a better overall interface? The Eclipse AVN726 looks good on paper, but I haven't used it in person. I will not buy another unit without using it in person, after the F900BT.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Giving up already eh?? LOL - I kinda feel ya on that. My F900BT did not even work correctly right out of the box! Thanks to this site it has been working fine ever since I cursed at it and said I was gonna replace it with a D3 or something lol. No issues since then...

Sometimes I kinda regret selling my flip out N3 - it was sooo much faster but then this has so much more cool stuff built in...

Dude, I totally hear you. I had the F90BT and switched to that from the D3. WHAT A MISTAKE!!! Best thing going for it is the VR. I sold mine and went back factory. Cost me a pretty penny to do factory nav, sat, iPod & BT, but it works and it kicks the sh*t out of the F series and integrates so well! Pioneer has lost a lot of my respect by releasing that unit into the wild KNOWING it was not ready for prime time! Kenwood has a new unit coming out in the summer that has everything the F series does and more... I would wait a bit until that is released and check that out!

Giving up already eh?? LOL - I kinda feel ya on that. My F900BT did not even work correctly right out of the box! Thanks to this site it has been working fine ever since I cursed at it and said I was gonna replace it with a D3 or something lol. No issues since then...

Sometimes I kinda regret selling my flip out N3 - it was sooo much faster but then this has so much more cool stuff built in...

I've had it since the week it was released. I'm actually surprised I've put up with it for as long as I have, considering how frustrating it can be to use at times. I really do like all of the customization, but...

Dude, I totally hear you. I had the F90BT and switched to that from the D3. WHAT A MISTAKE!!! Best thing going for it is the VR. I sold mine and went back factory. Cost me a pretty penny to do factory nav, sat, iPod & BT, but it works and it kicks the sh*t out of the F series and integrates so well! Pioneer has lost a lot of my respect by releasing that unit into the wild KNOWING it was not ready for prime time! Kenwood has a new unit coming out in the summer that has everything the F series does and more... I would wait a bit until that is released and check that out!

Thanks for the tip on the Kenwood. I may wait it out, since I won't be driving my truck as much in the summer.

Thanks for the tip on the Kenwood. I may wait it out, since I won't be driving my truck as much in the summer.

Here is the press release:

KENWOOD LAUNCHES 2009 IN-DASH DVD RECEIVERS WITH BUILT-IN GARMIN GPS NAVIGATION

LONG BEACH, CA (Car Entertainment) --

Kenwood USA Corporation has introduced the new generation of Kenwood DVD receivers that incorporate GPS navigation software from industry-leader Garmin.

For 2009, Kenwood is expanding its double-DIN DVD receiver lineup to include a new flagship model, the Kenwood eXcelon DNX9140 ($2,000 suggested retail price). This is a “best-in-class†DVD receiver with 6.95†high resolution WVGA touchscreen control, built-in advanced navigation technology by Garmin and the industry’s most comprehensive voice control system that provides the utmost in hands-free operation. Kenwood’s voice control feature allows the user to fully operate the navigation system and utilize features such as entering addresses, choosing menu options and selecting points of interest. The voice control system will also operate the audio and video systems, allowing the user to control any of the connected or built-in sources with common functions such as search, selection, and display information as well as manage audio control functions. Through the addition of built-in Bluetooth by Parrot, the DNX9140 has compatibility with the widest range of cell phones and smartphones including iPhone and BlackBerry. High performance audio is made possible through an on-board DSP processor, providing true 5.1 surround-sound and digital time alignment. The DNX9140 has an advanced USB platform that supports high-speed operation of iPod, iPhone, mass storage devices, and Kenwood’s Advanced Bus (KAB) that allows connection to satellite radio and HD Radio (optional iPod, HD Radio, M/H or satellite radio accessories are required). In addition, the DNX9140 will have the ability to connect to an M/H digital television tuner when it becomes available from Kenwood in 2010. Last but not least, the DNX9140 offers variable key illumination. This feature allows the user to match the look of the backlit buttons along the bottom of the screen to their interior lighting. The DNX9140 carries a two-year limited warranty and is only available from authorized Kenwood eXcelon retailers.

The one thing that bothers me about Kenwoods is the Garming GPS integration. One very simple thing that I would really like to have is a consistent location for the clock on the screen, regardless of what mode the unit is in. The F900 failed miserably at this, and the Kenwoods do too, because of the Garmin GPS. Hopefully the newer units integrate better... Thanks for the press release. The unit sounds impressive!

eclipse or alpine FTW, personally i would just get another Z-series, if you dont, then you will always want what the other unit does better when your in the car that doesnt have it. plus you dont have to learn two different systems

eclipse or alpine FTW, personally i would just get another Z-series, if you dont, then you will always want what the other unit does better when your in the car that doesnt have it. plus you dont have to learn two different systems

Agree, but I almost exclusively listen to my ipod in my truck (the vehicle that currently has the F900BT). I'd find it very difficult to use the iPod on a daily basis with the speed of the controls on the Z2/Z3. If I listened to one playlist all the time, it would be fine. Unfortunately, I jump around from artist to artist a lot. That's very difficult to do on the Z2. Why the heck haven't they released a Z4 with a fast ipod interface?!

Im about to give up on mine too. Im looking at the JVC units, bigger screen, faster start up, and a more current map preloaded.

That unit does look pretty nice. I like the look of the interface, too. Unfortunately, it looks like it only does the FM/RDS traffic information. I'm not sure if that information is less detailed/accurate than the XM stuff on my Z2, or if the F series implementation is just less detailed/accurate. Either way, the information my F900 shows is almost useless, as compared to the very detailed information that my Z2 shows me (actual speed of highway in each direction, exact location and nature of accident/construction). The F series doesn't even consistently define what side of the highway the incident is on. It just shows the highway as red, and has a plethora of useless yellow icons going the length of the red area of the highway. It would be helpful to hear from someone who has another brand unit that also has the FM/RDS traffic information and see how it is.

Dave

Personally, I would wait for the 3.0 to release. It's not much longer and being that you'll be driving your other vehicle more, it won't be too bad. It seems that you would like the F Series is it wasn't so sluggish and buggy, so maybe the 3.0 will take care of some issues. Also try doing some of the tips to make it faster, like deleting the maps you'll never use. If you don't want to wait, Kenwood looks promising, except the price tag is too much for a radio IMO (I know I said in the past I'll be getting the 9140 upon release, but after installing GTIMatt's Data.zip, I'm liking the unit a lot more and the boot time isn't much of a pain anymore. Also once Leetlauncher is 100% complete, the unit will be great.)

• 1 month later...

Well just ordered my DNX9140. Probably wont arrive until sometime in June. I got it for 1400 bucks through a forum. They basically give you a 400 dollar discount for signing up to there forums. The offer ends tonight at midnight so if anyone is interested you better act quick. They only take a deposit of 100 dollars for now until the item ships. Go to the links below for details.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evox-sale- ... oupon.html

http://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video ... oupon.html