AVIC411.com

Finally had it with F900BT... What to get next?

I wont ever buy something the week it comes out again. I would like to get that new Kenwood, but I learned my lesson with the F-series, let some other suckers try it out first.

Good point. but at least the nav part will be solid (Garmin)...

I ditched my two f90bt's for Kenwood 8120 and Kenwood 6140 (two different vehicles)

love 'em both, can't believe i wasted all this time w/ the avic's..

the kenny's have been solid performers from day one and sound great.

I like the garmin, is stupid simple to use, and gets me to where i need to go.

If ya got $1700 for the 9140 -- by all means... enjoy! I'd wait until the first batch of 'em get released and come back w/ bugs before diving into that one...

I would not be so quick to jump to Kenwood. I moved over from a DNX8320 because of the constant crashing, and the 3 headunits I went through under warantee due to nav board failure. Not to mention the BT that would never connect to any phone I had, terrible sound quality, and an ipod interface that was attrocious to use was also a major reason to dump it.

The F900 is much better than any Kenwood's I have had or used, even though there are a list of grievances with the F900. Unresponsive touch screen; a lack of simple usable functions (why 1 letter at a time to search playlists and not a full alpha keypad); no VR outside of the US even though it was advertised; slow startup time; far too many nav voice warnings to turn than needed; and patchy BT handsfree quality.

For the money of these 2-DIN Nav units I would never really bother again either, but for now the F900 is probably the lesser of the evils out there from my experience with them.

I wont ever buy something the week it comes out again. I would like to get that new Kenwood, but I learned my lesson with the F-series, let some other suckers try it out first.

Good point. but at least the nav part will be solid (Garmin)...

True, I love my little Garmin NAV.

I just install the DDX714 from Kenwood last night. that thing rocks. I was going to hold out for the 9140 but don't wnat to install something that expensive in my truck. The screen is so much more responsive then the avic f-series. just the general feel of the unit surpasses the f. I will admit that i was disappointed that it takes about 15 sec to boot up but i'll get over it. The kenwoods are very menu driven not quite as user friendly as the f series ipod interface, but not overly hard to deal with. so far I am very happy with this unit.

I am dissapointed in Pioneer. I had such high hope for the F-series. I always had pioneer in my cars growing up as a teen and this was the first unit going back to Pioneer after a series of Kenwoods. hopefully Pioneer will clean these up by the next generation.

Agreed -- i have the 6140 and 8120 and love both units -- flawless and no more than 15 second boot times --

F-series my a$$!!

i'll take cumbersome menu's in a headunit that is responsive, short boot times, and no freezing/rebooting issues ANYTIME over the f-series...

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my unit today. Had a chance to play with it in the store and it is AWESOME. The voice recognition works very well. I will be posting a detailed review as soon as I get it installed and will also be posting videos as well. Stay tuned.

Just picked up my unit today. Had a chance to play with it in the store and it is AWESOME. The voice recognition works very well. I will be posting a detailed review as soon as I get it installed and will also be posting videos as well. Stay tuned.

Are you going to post that stuff in this thread, or in a new thread? (just so I know where to watch)...

Thanks,

Dave