AVIC411.com

Manual map corrections?

I don't know if this is a 'hack' or a 'general' question...

The AVIC thinks that my house is about 3 houses north of my actual address. This is a problem because it doesn't ever think that I get home!

Is there a way to manually change the location of my house on the map but retain all of the address information? This would have to work with the "Return Home" button...

I don't know if this is a 'hack' or a 'general' question...

The AVIC thinks that my house is about 3 houses north of my actual address. This is a problem because it doesn't ever think that I get home!

Is there a way to manually change the location of my house on the map but retain all of the address information? This would have to work with the "Return Home" button...

Park in your driveway and set your home location by coordinates...

But then which will it use - my coordinates or my address? Will the coordinates override the address?

Hmmm... one would think that if you save coordinates of your home, then that's what the unit will have...

lol Thanx, Boris.

I tried this before I left this morning, and it looks like it will let me ENTER coordinates that I want to set, but not grab my current coordinates. Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, I was able to tell it where on the map I want it to think my home is, and when I saved that it just saves the location with an address that is about 200 numbers off. I don't even think the address that it has as my "home" now is even a real address! I live on a corner and I essentially had to tell it that I live further south on the street - when there IS NO FURTHER SOUTH on the street. And no, the street doesn't continue on the other side of the intersection, either.

This is exactly what I was wondering - I mean, SURE I can tell it that I live at a different address, but that's not correct at all... As far as I know, the address I need to tell it doesn't even EXIST. ...Which brings me back to my initial question - is there a way to retain the correct address but have it tied to a different latitude/longitude or spot on the map?

lol Thanx, Boris.

I tried this before I left this morning, and it looks like it will let me ENTER coordinates that I want to set, but not grab my current coordinates. Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, I was able to tell it where on the map I want it to think my home is, and when I saved that it just saves the location with an address that is about 200 numbers off. I don't even think the address that it has as my "home" now is even a real address! I live on a corner and I essentially had to tell it that I live further south on the street - when there IS NO FURTHER SOUTH on the street. And no, the street doesn't continue on the other side of the intersection, either.

This is exactly what I was wondering - I mean, SURE I can tell it that I live at a different address, but that's not correct at all... As far as I know, the address I need to tell it doesn't even EXIST. ...Which brings me back to my initial question - is there a way to retain the correct address but have it tied to a different latitude/longitude or spot on the map?

Attaching an address to different coordinates isn't possible... You could grab newer maps, if you haven't already done so, and check if it has your home closer to reality...

I'm not near the car now, but I _think_ that if you are parked in your driveway and are entering home location by coordinates, it should show the coordinates of your current position. Otherwise, I guess you could go to Settings/GPS, write down current position, and type in coordinates by hand...

Otherwise, I guess you could go to Settings/GPS, write down current position, and type in coordinates by hand...

I'm an idiot. That's exactly what I should have done.

As far as updating the maps goes, wouldn't I have to hack the complete system to do that? I didn't know that you could just easily replace the map data with other data... I'll be searching for that on this site now!

Otherwise, I guess you could go to Settings/GPS, write down current position, and type in coordinates by hand...

I'm an idiot. That's exactly what I should have done.

As far as updating the maps goes, wouldn't I have to hack the complete system to do that? I didn't know that you could just easily replace the map data with other data... I'll be searching for that on this site now!

Replacing the maps with updated ones has been described here in detail...