AVIC411.com

09 cobalt LS install

My car has Onstar, and also has the standard (not upgraded) radio. The chimes play through the speakers. Im planning on installing a avic-f500bt, because that should get me away from having to buy the rediculously expensive adapters and an add on xm module. I planned on getting the NG-D500 amp to integrate it into the car stereo. I also want to hook up an amp that I have to drive a couple small subwoofers. So far, the only "downside" I can see is that the door chimes and/or Onstar would be muted if the avic is playing, which I am fine with. Since the car is so new, I have not been able to find any wiring diagrams, pinouts, or other info for it. Does anyone know what adapters i will need to complete the setup, and where I can find the hookup information? Ive done about a half dozen radio installs before, but those were all about 10 years ago. Back then, it was pretty much power, ground, speakers. Thank you very much!

After a bunch more digging, I've found a couple possible options. If anybody has any additional ideas, please let me know. If I don't want to cut wires, I'm thinking something like getting one of these and cutting it up. Does this seem like it would work?

http://www.installer.com/item/display_i ... it=gmcss-2

Metra also has a harness, but it only includes the end that plugs into the radio.

Has anyone else put an F500 in a Cobalt? If so, where/how did you mount it? Right now, the only place I can see doing it is dead center above the vents and radio. Ill send out pics when Im done, although that probably wont be for a while yet.

I just put a 700 unit in my 2008 Cobalt. It cost me about $150 in installation materials. I installed the unit myself along with subs and HD radio box (bad implementation, but that is another thread). I just about nixed the project as there is no reason for someone to have to buy a $120 box to connect a radio to their car. I would recommend in your situation (to keep it cheap and less intrusive to the car's wiring) is to just route the audio to the input on the stock radio and use a speaker to line level adapter to add the subwoofers from the rear speakers. Most amps have them built in and also have the x-over built in. Hey, at least the battery is in the trunk!!! Amp wiring will be simplified! Get the wiring for power from the wiper fuse and constant power from the cigarette lighter fuse. Goto the cobalt forums (google) and they will have the info you are looking for in more detail. My 2 cents.

Battery RED/WHITE (+) RADIO HARNESS C1 PIN 1

Accessory THE RADIO HARNESS DOES NOT PROVIDE A SWITCHED POWER SOURCE.

Ground BLACK/WHITE (-) RADIO HARNESS C1 PIN 8

Illumination GRAY (+) RADIO HARNESS C1 PIN 2

Parking Brake LIGHT BLUE (-) AT BCM MODULE IN FRONT OF CENTER CONSOLE ON PASSENGER SIDE PLUG C1 - PIN #14

Reverse Wire LIGHT GREEN (+) IN DRIVERS DOOR SILL HARNESS OR IN REARVIEW MIRROR POWER HARNESS

Head Unit Audio - Wire Color - Plug/Pin #

Speaker 1 FL + TAN C1 PIN 7

Speaker 1 FL - GRAY C1 PIN 6

Speaker 1 FR + LIGHT GREEN C1 PIN 5

Speaker 1 FR - DARK GREEN C1 PIN 4

Speaker 1 RL + BROWN C2 PIN 6

Speaker 1 RL - YELLOW C2 PIN 7

Speaker 1 RR + DARK BLUE C2 PIN 4

Speaker 1 RR - LIGHT BLUE C2 PIN 5

since there is no ACC wire at the Radio harness you will need to run one, if the car has four doors and power windows, you can tap into the RAP wire that delivers power to the windows even after the key is turned off (until a door is opened) it is a thicker YELLOW wire that runs on either side from the kick pannels to the rear doors, test all wires before connecting anything