AVIC411.com

FM Station/song information

Factory GM radios in the US usually support RDS

Thanks for that - I am surprised to see that the radio stations in the US actually transmit such detailed RDS data (with song info and all) - since I had always thought only Europe uses RDS extensively. Here in Australia, you can't buy RDS radios, and even if you get a stock RDS radio (say in a European car) then only 1 or 2 radio stations even transmit their station name on RDS - let alone what song they're playing!

When I was living in Europe, RDS was great, every station sent it's name, the song they were playing, sometimes the upcoming program would be scrolled across the screen, or traffic reports would scroll across, and sometimes even advirtisements would scroll across :!:

I *LOVE* the RDS features of radios. Seriously, it was almost enough for me to NOT buy the F90BT, but the price was too appealing. I asked a guy at an install shop (where I physically got my hands on the AVIC before ordering it from Amazon) why on earth most aftermarket stereos don't have this feature and his reply was "nobody's asking for it..."

pfft.

The F series lacking RDS and speed sensing volume control caused me to hold off on purchasing an F700 or 90x. I have that functionality in my factory Mustang radio (Shaker 500). Personally I was really surprised that functionality didn't exist. I eventually purchased an F500 and integrated into my factory radio. That gave me speed sensing volume for the iPod through the F series (which I had before via an interface module, but didn't have on-screen control of the iPod like I do with the F series), and I still have my RDS.

With that said I'm not crazy about the F500 being added to vs replacing my stereo. I would much rather straight out replace. For now I'm monitoring the development of the F series line and may change at some point in the future.