AVIC411.com

AM/FM reception sucks on F90bt!

My AM/FM reception sucks!!! I have an aftermarket HU, pioneer f90bt. First off I have an 05 g35x with glass antenna in the rear.

I wired the blue wire(antenna) from the f90bt harness to the blue wire(power antenna) from the metra 70-7551 harness. I do have an antenna adapter(best kit baa9). And I still have crappy reception! Did i do this right?

On the f90bt manual it says "BLUE= To auto-antenna relay control terminal. If the vehicle has a glass antenna, connect to the antenna booster power control terminal(max. 300 mA 12V DC)"

Can somebody explain what that means?

How can I fix this problem? thanks

Im pretty sure i did it right, Since my amp and sub is working correctly.

First of all:

Check with your car dealer if your car has a antenna signal pre-amplifier build in (most, if not all, windscreen antenna have).

If so, check how the this preamp is powered. There are 2 possible ways: either directly (the preamp has its own 12 volt power line) then you just plug in the antenna connector and you are ready, or the power supply 'shares' the antenna cable (then you need to use what is commonly called a booster, but in fact it is nothing more than a simple circuit with a couple of resitors and a capacitor that electronically separates - decouples- the power from the antenna signal, also known as a ghost power supply) This circuit hooks up to both antenna connectors and a 12 Volt line.

Finally: it is possible to bend the central pin in a FAKRA connector (if they are used in your car), it turned out to be the problem in my system that was build in by my VW dealer....

Then there are car manufacturors that install diversity antenna's (you should have more than 1 antenna connector) and in that case you might want to try the other antenna orientation/location to see if that improves the signal.