AVIC411.com

05 Xterra D2 Questions

I bought a D2 today. I should get it Next week. When I bought the piece I thought it had dvd playback but I was wrong. None the less I have a few questions before I take my suv to have this installed.

1.) Knowing nothing about installing a unit, Can I use my existing dash kit for my pioneer cd player with this double din system? Currently I have a slot filled for cd's. I wonder if that piece can be detached and the D2 will fit? If so it will save me 30 bucks or more. Also, The D2 says irs 6.5 inches. If I measure from top to bottom of my existing unit space it appears as thought the D2 wont fit?

2.) I don't own an ipod but for the sake of being able to watch movies in the future, should I go ahead and have some type of output device installed? Like I said I don't know how to remove the dash correctly so chances are if I dont have it done now it will never be done.

3.) I currently have sirius installed. The unit runs directly to the cd player for better reception on FM. Hearing how the D2 interface with Sirius isnt that great, would it be better to keep my reciever external and have the installers use the existing cables for the D2?

4.) Can I manipulate the DVD-ROM for navigation to play mpeg2? dvd-rom can play mpeg2 video if you encode it correctly. Just wondering if it will fault the memory.

Thanks!
[quote name="fearziz"]I bought a D2 today. I should get it Next week. When I bought the piece I thought it had dvd playback but I was wrong. None the less I have a few questions before I take my suv to have this installed.

1.) Knowing nothing about installing a unit, Can I use my existing dash kit for my pioneer cd player with this double din system? Currently I have a slot filled for cd's. I wonder if that piece can be detached and the D2 will fit? If so it will save me 30 bucks or more. Also, The D2 says irs 6.5 inches. If I measure from top to bottom of my existing unit space it appears as thought the D2 wont fit?[/quote]

Depends on the manufacturer of your dash kit. One of the company's dashkit will do that. The other 2 will not.

[quote name="fearziz"]2.) I don't own an ipod but for the sake of being able to watch movies in the future, should I go ahead and have some type of output device installed? Like I said I don't know how to remove the dash correctly so chances are if I dont have it done now it will never be done.
[/quote]

Might be a good idea to at least have them hook up a set of av cables and drop them somewhere easy to access.

[quote name="fearziz"]3.) I currently have sirius installed. The unit runs directly to the cd player for better reception on FM. Hearing how the D2 interface with Sirius isnt that great, would it be better to keep my reciever external and have the installers use the existing cables for the D2?
[/quote]

Yes the interface for sirius on the d2 blows an external receiver would be much better

[quote name="fearziz"]4.) Can I manipulate the DVD-ROM for navigation to play mpeg2? dvd-rom can play mpeg2 video if you encode it correctly. Just wondering if it will fault the memory.
[/quote]

Nope

[quote name="fearziz"]Thanks![/quote]

You're welcome.

[quote name="fearziz"]btw, whats the story on this vvs wire. is there a connector on a 2005 nissan xterra with out the rockford fosgate system i hear of in other post. ill make sure and point that out when i take it and have the unit installed.[/quote]

Be careful how you do that. Most installers don't like being told how to do their job. Best bet would be to ask the installer if they hook it up normally. If he/she says no, then offer them a couple bucks extra to do it.