AVIC411.com

F500bt installed into 2008 Subaru Impreza

Wanted to share my custom install for the Pioneer AVIC F500bt Nav and backup camera system into a 2008 Impreza OBS.

I chose this Nav system because its removable (street parking), backup camera input, 2nd video in, nav, bluetooth, ipod, AND! theres a huge community of owners doing upgrades and sick customization here. I was originally looking for a double din replacement unit, but I decided that I didnt want to lose the steering wheel controls and 6 cd changer.

When the install is done, the f500bt will be inside of a small fiberglass box that is pushed up against the front windshield. Its also going to have a front door- so that you cant even tell its in there, mostly because I find myself parking on the street in LA.

Parts: Decided to mount the f500bt into the ceiling above the rearview mirror because of its size (think VHS tape). Though the unit comes with a suction cup, its adds another 5" to this giant. The backup camera is mounted into the spoiler above the rear window. I bought a Boyo VTK350 on sale from amazon, it's got automatic night vision with IR led's, and mirrored image output.

Boyo: Cam is pretty great. Looks best during the daytime through evening 30mins after sunset. Night visibility with no ambient light is down to roughly 10 feet, bit more clear with the reverse lights and brakes on. Really fun to just drive and watch traffic behind me. Eventually id like to have a 3 camera panorama with 3 screen setup (no more rearview mirrors).

F500bt: So far so good. While traveling cross country- I found that the Pioneer comes up with a better route choice than my gf's 06' CRV OEM nav. I wish there were more customizable buttons. The bluetooth is marginal, the 2.5i isnt the most quiet car either. Phonebook ported just fine from my 3g iphone. I also wish that the screen would automatically dim at night... other than that- great little box- tons of features. Cant wait to install some of the user mods.

Install: I had an experienced professional audio installer do all electrical and fabrication work for me! I am just posting my project design, and semi-final pictures for inspiration.

nav_front.jpg

nav_back.jpg

insidebig.jpg

backangle5.jpg

backangle1.jpg

The wire squid is running from the cradle in the middle of the roof, down the driver A-pillar (behind the side curtain airbag) and into the driver kick panel. The connection to tap reverse lights was made in the passenger kick panel. Word to the wise, every panel in this car was pulled off by hand/fingers. The passenger kick panel is held on by some other kind of panel screw, it was broken during removal. As a result, the passenger kick is a bit floppy.

I dont know where camera power was tapped, but the Composite video cable comes down the driver side C-Pillar, and runs down underneath the plastic door trim along the driver side door. This door/floor trim was VERY VERY hard to pull off by hand.

Review: This setup is really rad! When I moved out to LA 3 weeks ago my car was totally full to the roof! This backup camera allowed me to monitor what was happening behind me in busy cities with complex interchanges. I was loaded down to the tires, and had another car following, so serious aggressive driving was not an option. The viewing angle of the camera also eliminates all the blind spots during normal use.

I could post also wire diagram if anyone needs it. Now I just need to find a good fiberglass dude in LA....

Well done. I like the location of it and can't wait to see pictures of the final assembly.

Can you post up a wiring diagram for the backup camera? I just purchased the BOYO VTL420 and am a little concerned on how to wire it up so it automatically comes on when the shifter is in reverse (manual transmission), and also be able to select the camera input so I can see what's behind me while moving forward.

Thanks man, it might be a while to find a fiberglass dude, I dont think they use the internet out here :/

I dont have a wire diagram for the backup camera, but I can tell you that mine had 2 wires. 1 Rca video that got run down the rear driver side of the hatch, across the roof to the rear driver side pillar, down into the trim along the door bottom, and up into the driver kick panel where the rest of the AVIC cable squid ended.

Normally reverse cameras are wired to only come on with the reverse lights, so power is tapped from those. I dunno where my power was tapped. Just make sure it is a source that is powered only when the keys are in, otherwise the camera will drain your battery slowly.

As long as your installer runs the parking brake wire to ground, the camera will be available at all times. I am currently running the pioneer 2.0 firmware, no software hack required for the constant monitoring.

Ok thanks, I think I have better idea of how to wire it. I installed mine myself and have a good idea of where to make the connections.

Your set-up looks pretty clean as is. That's the first time I've seen someone mount it above the mirror like that.