AVIC411.com

Questions on F90BT dimensions, ready to order.

I am planning on getting an AVIC F90BT to put in the new 2008 Kia Amanti I just got. It is a real nice car with lots of features, but about as bland a radio as possible, and no NAV. I also have a Chrysler RB1 Nav radio in my minivan and really like it even though it is very basic by 2009 standards.

I am VERY interested in accessing the WINCE and would love to put other apps in it/on it. I have read hundreds of posts on this site and think I know what I'm getting into fairly well.

I already ordered the Metra DoubleDin dash kit, antenna adapter, and wiring adapter. I want to see how well the dash kit matches before I blow the big $$ on the AVIC. Since the Amanti is not too common, and modded even less, I have not found one actual photo of any DD radio in one. My Metra Dash kit actually came today! It looks like it is made OK, but it is textured black plastic, not metallic gray specked like my dash. I might try painting it, but it might be OK as is. I have the W.A.F. to worry about (Wife Acceptance Factor).

The one thing I can't actually confirm is my actual depth available. Once the dash kit comes, I will take some good measurements to find out if an AVIC will fit.

Can someone give me the actual overall depth of the unit, and how much space is needed for the wiring? I know Pioneer states it is 6.5", but I might need more info.

This is a snippet of what a Crutchfield chat told me, (MAN ARE THEY EXPENSIVE!)

My question - "I was wondering why the Pioneer avic f700bt shows up as "Does Not Fit" for my 2008 Kia Amanti, but other "Double Din" sides units do."

Answer - "You have 7.029" of depth and the Pioneer is 7.056" deep."

1st who cares about .027" That is less than a credit card, 2nd, is the Pioneer that deep? 3rd, I need to verify what space I really have...

Thanks in advance for the info!

If you have 0.027" less space than required, that wouldn't be a big deal, except that you have to factor in enough room for the plugs, fan, and wires in the back. What's behind the factory radio in the kia? Wires? Metal bar? Airbox? You may be able to modify the dash to accomidate the Avic much nicer dependng on what's behind the radio.

Thanks for the reply, I agree, .027" is nothing. But what really concerned me is how Crutchfield said "You have 7.029" of depth and the Pioneer is 7.056" deep."

But Pioneer said it is only 6.5" deep, so how deep is it really. I will be putting the dash kit in and measuring how much room I actually have.

I pulled the 2 week old car apart today! Holy crap, what a pain, I thought I was going to have to pull the spare tire out next. Everything overlaps from the front to the rear, I had to start in the back seat and remove the rear panel of the center console, and work my way forward...

The Metra dash kit looks better than I thought it would, it might be OK as is. I seem to have a ton of depth space, from 7½" to close to 8" in some spots. I hit a new snag, on the top of the dash is a digital display that shows trip conputer, clock/calendar, and radio info. When I disconnected the factory radio, the display shows "No Conn" on the bottom line! I don't know if I can bypass it, or trick it yet. On the Amantis with base radio, they have a nice analog clock instead of the display. I might get that as a replacement for the whole thing.

So unless anyone can chime in with total depth dimensions of a F 700/90/900, I think I am good to go.

i just mesured our f700 thats on display and its only over 7" if you mesure from the farthest point on the front (volume knob) to the farthest point on the rear cooling fan, its a hair over 6.75" from the front of the screen to the back of the cooling fan(the screen should stick out through the dash kit just a hair as well). the harness should not stick out too much further than the fan, the GPS antenna connection should stick out the most

Thanks for the info, it sounds like I have plenty of room. I have the project on hold due to other issues in the Amanti. It has an external 3 line LCD display that will show an error if stock radio is disconnected. I might end up putting a full screen in there or get the base Amanti's analog clock to replace it.

• 6 months later...

I was looking at the display on my drive in...I was thinking that a tasteful piece of cut plastic or metal could cover the bottom third of the display and look quite nice. Better than an error message.

I don't want to give up the display because I like being able to see my Distance To Empty, MPG, and Ambient.

I was looking at the display on my drive in...I was thinking that a tasteful piece of cut plastic or metal could cover the bottom third of the display and look quite nice. Better than an error message.

I don't want to give up the display because I like being able to see my Distance To Empty, MPG, and Ambient.

If you need to paint the Metra bezel, Home Depot sells spray paint just for plastics, its tough and comes in many colors.

Go to your friendly Kia car dealer, talk to a tech, have him print out the radio and trip computer schematics pages from his station, scan and post them here or PM me, so I can read them clearly, and I should be able to tell you how to bypass it for you. I have gone to various dealer techs a few times for these reasons and have never been disappointed with their cooperation. Usually you have to talk to the service manager first. Its better if you can go in the early morning so you don't interrupt a job they are working on.

You need 7.0" of minimum depth for the F90BT, which is from the mid lip of the front panel, it is not to the face, which is another .25", and of course it doesnt include the knob! This is provided you use a 90 degree radio antenna adapter from Metra, they are $5-$7(Ebay) and come in 6", 12" and a longer length. The 7.0" will give you some room to bend your other cables out of the way too.

kiatechinfo has all the diagrams I have been over them pretty good putting mine in. I think it is a bus signal that goes from the radio to the display, not a simple "Hey Im on" since it displays the track info and radio station... I have a scangauge II in my Amanti which shows all that info except ambient temp, so I was thinking of putting in the base Amanti analoge clock. There was a display on ebay recently. I actually thougth about buying it to hack up to disable the bottomline. I have also considered putting a seperate 5" display screen there for movie playback.