AVIC411.com

Questions on F90BT dimensions, ready to order.

You need 7.0" of minimum depth for the F90BT, which is from the mid lip of the front panel, it is not to the face, which is another .25", and of course it doesnt include the knob! This is provided you use a 90 degree radio antenna adapter from Metra, they are $5-$7(Ebay) and come in 6", 12" and a longer length. The 7.0" will give you some room to bend your other cables out of the way too.

The F90BT fits OK, the only problem I had was stuffing the TONS of wiring under and behind it. Maybe if you tore more apart, you could get behind/under it and pull more wiring down as someone inserted the radio. I actually removed 3 of the RCA audio jack pairs from one of the connectors just so there is less to cram in. I carefully removed the pins from the connector so they can be reinserted if needed later.there is plenty of free space up above for accessories. I put the HD radio receiver behind the display in question. I mounted the GPS antenna under the trianglular dash piece behind that (which I believe is the factory location for the Korean spec Amanti/Opirus gps antenna)

Also I used an antenna adapter from Kia-normal, then a y cable splitter into the hd radio and an extender to the F90. FM reception is better than factory but AM sucks. HD reception seems about what I would expect from reading other posts about HD range. I live in SW PA and the only flat places are football /baseball fields...

kiatechinfo has all the diagrams I have been over them pretty good putting mine in. I think it is a bus signal that goes from the radio to the display, not a simple "Hey Im on" since it displays the track info and radio station... I have a scangauge II in my Amanti which shows all that info except ambient temp, so I was thinking of putting in the base Amanti analoge clock. There was a display on ebay recently. I actually thougth about buying it to hack up to disable the bottomline. I have also considered putting a seperate 5" display screen there for movie playback.

Oh you didn't mention the radio station info was output to this same display, so yes its bus data, is this the only information this part of the display handles? Is the a separate LCD display module, or is this radio information integrated into a larger display. Such as the mileage display maybe the top line and the radio info the bottom line but essentially on two separate LED/LCD modules...if so you could open the display up and cut the power trace to radio display module to blank it or remove it from its printed circuit mount.

There is another way to trick it but it involves engineering a device to hop on the bus and fool the Display into thinking the radio is connected.

So you can watch a DVD playback while NAVing...thats cool too..but maybe slightly dangerous.

If you put in the analog clock, do you lose the MPG info or do you mean that is available on the ScanGauge?

Is there such an option to order the car with a trip computer but not the radio?

You mentioned DIP switches...on the Display module I presume, the service manual would tell you what those did. You might have to put the display in a programming mode in order to read those DIP switches.

You need 7.0" of minimum depth for the F90BT, which is from the mid lip of the front panel, it is not to the face, which is another .25", and of course it doesnt include the knob! This is provided you use a 90 degree radio antenna adapter from Metra, they are $5-$7(Ebay) and come in 6", 12" and a longer length. The 7.0" will give you some room to bend your other cables out of the way too.

The F90BT fits OK, the only problem I had was stuffing the TONS of wiring under and behind it. Maybe if you tore more apart, you could get behind/under it and pull more wiring down as someone inserted the radio. I actually removed 3 of the RCA audio jack pairs from one of the connectors just so there is less to cram in. I carefully removed the pins from the connector so they can be reinserted if needed later.there is plenty of free space up above for accessories. I put the HD radio receiver behind the display in question. I mounted the GPS antenna under the trianglular dash piece behind that (which I believe is the factory location for the Korean spec Amanti/Opirus gps antenna)

Also I used an antenna adapter from Kia-normal, then a y cable splitter into the hd radio and an extender to the F90. FM reception is better than factory but AM sucks. HD reception seems about what I would expect from reading other posts about HD range. I live in SW PA and the only flat places are football /baseball fields...

Try removing the Y splitter temporarily, and go direct into the F90BT forget the HD part, and see if the AM reception improves. Maybe the extension ant. cable is crappy so try bypassing that. I listen to AM all the time and reception is very good. You can check signal level on the F90 for a particular station for reference.

Oh you didn't mention the radio station info was output to this same display, so yes its bus data, is this the only information this part of the display handles? Is the a separate LCD display module, or is this radio information integrated into a larger display. Such as the mileage display maybe the top line and the radio info the bottom line but essentially on two separate LED/LCD modules...if so you could open the display up and cut the power trace to radio display module to blank it or remove it from its printed circuit mount.

There is another way to trick it but it involves engineering a device to hop on the bus and fool the Display into thinking the radio is connected.

So you can watch a DVD playback while NAVing...thats cool too..but maybe slightly dangerous.

If you put in the analog clock, do you lose the MPG info or do you mean that is available on the ScanGauge?

Is there such an option to order the car with a trip computer but not the radio?

You mentioned DIP switches...on the Display module I presume, the service manual would tell you what those did. You might have to put the display in a programming mode in order to read those DIP switches.

Yes the radio itself has no display on it. The display unit at the top of the day has 3 lines One line is various trip functions, the other line is clock day date and the bottom line is radio. there was a back of about 8 dip switches on the back. I already have the mod in so the head unit will display a DVD ro whatever, but it is kinda low for the kids in the back to see it. I used it on a trip and I was able to totally ignore it when driving.

If you have analog clock and premium radio, you will have no display . And yes the scangauge has all functinos most trip computers can do. Plus I think the factory analog clock is kind of classy.

Pioneer4x4:

Did you connect the steering wheel controls to your radio? If so, which kit did you use? Is there a noticeable lag? What did you do with the preset and mode buttons?

What were the part numbers for the harness pieces you bought?

ot1:

Is there a standard (de facto/de jure) bus protocol for these things? Does someone have a PIC programmed to control them? Do any aftermarket head-units put this kind of information out?

If you don't have a scangauge type thing, then you lose the MPG etc information. You'd think that these days, the fancy head units would actually take the OBDII data.

Not that I can tell. If you got the Leather Package you get Premium Sound Package (Infinity) and Trip Computer.

Pioneer4x4:

Did you connect the steering wheel controls to your radio? If so, which kit did you use? Is there a noticeable lag? What did you do with the preset and mode buttons?

What were the part numbers for the harness pieces you bought?

I used the PAC SW1. I used preset for preset + and mode for mode/input.

I need to take better pictures under better lighting so I don't get that horrible glare from the AVIC. Actually that is one complaint I have about it, it IS way too shiny.

Nice clean looking install...What software version or mods do you have? I'm running 2.0 right now.