AVIC411.com

Simple F700 Question from a newbie

Hello all. I have a simple question. I ordered an F700 last night from Crutchfield for some relatives of mine. I should be installing it for them in the next week or 2 in their F250 Super Duty. I have been installing car stereos on the side for 20 years, but this is my first NAV unit so pretty excitied about getting my hands on it. (also a surprise for the husband so that should be pretty cool) My question is this (I know this might be a little sacrilegious on this forum); What are all of the features will they be unable to access while driving if I do not do the hardware or software bypass? I know about being unable to enter new destinations and also unable to watch Ipod video, but what else? Like I said, I have been doing stereo installs on the side for years and also have worked in IT for years, so niether of the 2 bypass techniques are intimidating. I just want to present them with the facts and let them make up their minds how I should install it. I may buy another one for my wife's Honda and will definitely do the bypass on that one, but the cousins aren't tech geeks so may not mind the limitations. Thanks in advance. -Bill

I think there are a few features in the Settings menu related to the nav features that you will not be able to access unless the parking brake is on, but the entering of addresses and watching ipod video are the main ones.

I was kind of surprised to find out that if you install a rearview camera with the system, the video feed for the camera is available while you are driving down the road at any speed. It's kind of fun and interesting, but from a safety point of view is probably just as distracting as watching a video on your ipod while driving.

Bill,

Do yourself a favor and do the hardware bypass during installation- you (or your relatives) won't regret it. I have the 700 in both my 1999 F-250 and 2002 Excursion- love the ability to change the nav on the fly, and crank in a vid for those long drives with family....

Thanks all. Yeah, I discovered a lot of them on my own. Cousin bought it as a surprise for her husband. I am getting the truck for the afternoon tomorrow. Don't have a ton of time to install it so have researched the unit and truck like mad this week so there are no surprises. (also doing new speakers but don;t see the time being an issue) I asked her about it and she said they had no desire to watch video while driving, but would like to be able to change the NAV. That alone would be a dealbreaker for me. I have the stock NAV in my Acura and usually don't enter my destination until I am somewhat close to my destination. (I may not know where in a strange city my destination is, but I know how to get to the city so usually will wait until I am close before setting it) I had decided to do the hardware bypass and her answer confirmed it. Mute wire moved and harness all soldered up and ready to go. I know I do not HAVE to install the reverse wire, but I can see them using a backup camera one day so will do that. Everything else seems to be behind the dash so think should go fairly well.

I really want to put one in my wife's Honda Element. She says she doesn't want one. Hoping she sees it tomorrow and changes her mind.