AVIC411.com

Sorting of music and videos on SD card

I have struggled with how the F series sorts the music and video folders on my F700BT and my F90BT for the month and a half that I've owned them. Has always seemed random sometimes and alphabetical other times.

So--of course I decided a while back to number my folders or files that I wanted to sort my way. Well--even that didn't seem to work. Some music/videos sorted the way I wanted but other folders weren't in the order I had numbered them in.

Now many of you smarter folks on here probably already figured this out--but for us slower folks--and I have a feeling I'm not alone in my slowness--this tidbit of info that I just discovered today may be helpful to you.

I was numbering my folders like a normal person--ie. Music or Video folder one I would number "1 Title or Artist", then "2 Title or Artist" etc. Well--the AVIC will sort those as Folder 10 and Folder 20!! So--to get the unit to sort your first 9 music or video folders the way you want you need to make all the digits double digits. In other words Folder 1 will be "01 Title or Artist" and Folder 2 will be "02 Title or Artist". Now maybe everyone else in the world knew this but I sure didn't until today.

If this is old news to everyone I apologize--just disregard this post. I do hope it helps others who have been baffled as I have at why I couldn't get music and videos in the order I wanted them on my SD card.

Yup, lots of computer systems will sort like that. It's kind of annoying. I've found batch renaming your existing songs using the 01.. 02.. 03.. naming theme helps immensely on a wide variety of computer systems, whether it be an MP3 player, car deck, software player, etc. Then in the future you know how to name properly for picky devices/software. 8)