AVIC411.com

Screwed Up HU Trying To Hook Up Guide Speaker...

On my previous Bluetooth (Parrot), I had the center dash speaker connected as my phone speaker. The Z1 has an accessory guide speaker, and an output on the rear to connect it to.

Went to Radio Shack to pickup a sub-mini connector to make a cable. All they had was a sub-to-1/8 phone adapter. Problem was (and I didn't notice until afterwards) that the connector doesn't go all the way into the jack - so it appears that it shorted the output of the preamp/amp that feeds the the speaker.

Well, this also stopped the guide voice/phone from playing thru the normal outputs completely. It also stopped the CD/DVD & music library from playing, even though the IPod & AM/FM played normally. Also (as if that wasn't enough), the speed signal showed disconnected, the backup indicator in Hardware Connections stayed low (even though the backup camera came on in reverse), the voltage in showed 256 volts - basically screwed the entire unit up.

Luckily it was less than a week old, and I got my vendor to swap it out for me. These sub-mini connectors aren't easy to come by (especially in a right angle connector). I doubt even if I find one, that I'm going to risk frying another HU...

Word to the wise...

Rick
  • 4 weeks later...