AVIC411.com

Weird boot up all of a sudden with issues

All has been well for a few months now with my F700BT in my 06 Nissan Frontier. I've got GTiMatt's mod and have a few small mods generally mixed in and have had a very stable unit that I'm very happy with (until now).

Got around to buying an Ipod Nano 16GB just for my two vehicles that I've installed these F-series in (other unit is in my other truck (F90BT) and is working fine). Also finally got around to upgrading the stock speakers in this Frontier with Polk DBs that I finished installing last night.

Drove off to the store all was fine--Ipod hooked up and sounding wonderful as well as the new speakers. Speakers are a big improvement over factory. Came out of store. Started truck up--and after boot up-- screen is very very dim.

I go into settings and adjust it back to bright and start cringing as I've heard others mention all of a sudden having their settings lost and that's what appeared to be happening. OK--screen brightened back up--I'm driving down the road and decide to check other settings that might have been reset or lost. I notice a weird voice language setting I've never seen before--I want to say Swedish? but I don't even see that on our units--so maybe I was freaking out and hallucinating at that point--but-- I switched back to US English and wanted to go back to Samantha with TTS but ended up with Jason and that's all she wrote. I can't get Samantha back and whenever I touch the Jason tab on the voice tab in the settings I now am no longer able to get back into settings until I reboot. I can do everything else--just can't go back to settings and no buttons in the language menu respond once I touch the Jason button (trying to navigate it back to Samantha).

I have no idea if it was a quick short circuit on a speaker wire (they've all been checked and any wiring that might possibly have caused this when I simply swapped out speakers has been altered/taped/rechecked) or if it was having the Ipod connected during boot up (I have a feeling the F -series USB feature is pretty funky leading to all sorts of Windows related/USB/annoying problems).

Nevertheless--I'm at the point where I may simply reinstall my last working copy/backup of My FlashDisk or even go back to the default, virgin My FlashDisk backup.

Anyone that has reinstalled their FlashDisk have any suggestions or warnings or tips before I attempt this. I've done a search for others that have had similar issues but I don't see anyone that has lost Samantha that has successfully restored her computer voice and TTS. The threads all end up with suggestions (many have been tried today) but no firm answer. Seems to me a reinstall of MyFlashDisk may be coming but I'm very concerned about doing this.

Thanks.

Fixed!! :mrgreen:

I had made a backup of my 'modded up' and working "My Flash Disk" from a couple of weeks ago once I got my unit where I wanted it.

I simply copied over the APL and APL2 Folders from this backup and booted my F700BT up and Samantha's back and all is well.

Can't underestimate the value of having backups of working and original "My Flash Disk" files.

Also don't know why the problem happened to begin with-but I'm just gonna have to disconnect my Ipod every time I shut down to eliminate any USB boot up issues (Windows CE-sigh). I've also found it to be more stable booting up when I switch my A/V source to FM rather than leave it on my SD card when I shut down each time. Shouldn't have to do this stuff each time--but--it's the way it is with computers and Windows I guess.