AVIC411.com

Interested in a Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT

I'm looking at getting the F90BT for my 04 Chevy truck and am looking for feed back on this unit, the good the bad etc. What are some common upgrades that get done to this unit? From what I've read on other sites is mixed reviews. I gotta say that I'm pretty over whelmed with what info is on here. Can a person with some mechanical knowledge install this or is it better left to the professionals? I'm a bit uneducated on car audio though so bear with me if you could. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions

Thanks

Will

Will, save yourself a lot of time and agrivation and wait for the new Pioneer units to come out. THe Avic F series have been discontinued and the new models should be out in a month or so. Coming from a profesional installer of 17 years I would say the F series is the WORST pioneer unit I have ever installed with a return rate of 50% at our shop alone. I had one customer that was so angry with his that he punched a hole in his screen. I am on my third unit and I bet it will be just like the first two. Don't get me wrong, when a customer walks into my shop I always recommend a pionner unit just not the F series anymore. I have done many Z series and N series that were flawless.

Will, save yourself a lot of time and agrivation and wait for the new Pioneer units to come out. THe Avic F series have been discontinued and the new models should be out in a month or so. Coming from a profesional installer of 17 years I would say the F series is the WORST pioneer unit I have ever installed with a return rate of 50% at our shop alone. I had one customer that was so angry with his that he punched a hole in his screen. I am on my third unit and I bet it will be just like the first two. Don't get me wrong, when a customer walks into my shop I always recommend a pionner unit just not the F series anymore. I have done many Z series and N series that were flawless.

Thanks for the reply.The more I read about it, the more it seems like this is either a love it or hate it unit. Any links to the new units coming out? What about pricing? One thing that drew me to this unit was the price of it. I keep jumping between this one and the Kenwood DNX 5120 but the Kenwood is about 100 bucks more unless I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Looking for more replies concerning both.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.The more I read about it, the more it seems like this is either a love it or hate it unit. Any links to the new units coming out? What about pricing? One thing that drew me to this unit was the price of it. I keep jumping between this one and the Kenwood DNX 5120 but the Kenwood is about 100 bucks more unless I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Thanks

Go spend some *serious* time demoing one. Try out the ipod controls, voice controls, and bluetooth. Try adjusting the EQ and fad/bal, see if the response is quick enough for you.

Thanks

Go spend some *serious* time demoing one. Try out the ipod controls, voice controls, and bluetooth. Try adjusting the EQ and fad/bal, see if the response is quick enough for you.

Which unit? Unfortunaltly Iowa isn't exactly the epicenter of car audio so places are limited.

Which unit? Unfortunaltly Iowa isn't exactly the epicenter of car audio so places are limited.

I don't think it really matters whether you test the 700,900, or 90, if you are like me, you will find them all to be unacceptable slow and unresponsive.

Kinda off topic here but has anyone delt with refurbdepot.com? The more I read here the more I'm leary of the F90bt and am becoming more interested in the Kenwood DNX5120. Refurbdepot.com that sells the Kenwood for 549 bucks. It only comes with a 90 day warranty though. Have any of you delt with refurb units? The cheapest new that I have found comes from 6ave.com and its 598.

jeesh! I feel lucky, the F90bt I have works perfect. I've never had a boot up error or any bugs. The only lag is on start up and thats only about 10 seconds, but it starts playing the FM audio in only a couple. I'm not sure if I got the only good one to roll of the line or maybe im not as noticing of its flaws.

jeesh! I feel lucky, the F90bt I have works perfect. I've never had a boot up error or any bugs. The only lag is on start up and thats only about 10 seconds, but it starts playing the FM audio in only a couple. I'm not sure if I got the only good one to roll of the line or maybe im not as noticing of its flaws.

Agreed- I must be a lucky one!

Whether I have it on iPod, XM or FM, my sound starts in a few seconds. The NAV is usually up in 15-20 seconds and ready to go.