AVIC411.com

Honda Pilot and F90bt install questions

I have purchased the Pioneer Avic-f90bt and everything else needed for the install.

I have some questions about connecting the Pioneer harness to the adapter harness for the Honda Pilot http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701721/Honda-Acura-Suzuki-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html. I have most of the wires soldered already, but I'm not sure what to do with a few. I have yet to touch anything in the car.

1. blue (antenna power) lead. There is the blue lead from the Pioneer harness with a connector on it. The Honda harness adapter has a blue lead also. The honda antenna adapter http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040HD10/Honda-Antenna-Adapter.html also has the blue lead. My guess is that I need to remove the connector off the Pioneer harness and connect it to the blue lead of the Honda antenna adapter (and tape off the blue lead from the Honda harness adapter) - is that correct?

2. black (chassis ground) lead. Can't remember exactly the issue with this one but I think the pioneer harness has a connector on this lead.

3. I was planning to do the software bypass, but after reading in another thread, I'm confused on this. I thought to do the software harness, you installed all the hardware as you are supposed to- then just change the software values after install. But i was reading in another thread (can't find the link at the moment) that you had to change some wiring even with the software bypass. can someone clear this up for me?

• 2 weeks later...

For a 09 Honda Fit, in the OEM setup, the stock Honda antenna wiring goes into it's own socket on the OEM headunit, as opposed to being tied into any other harness. My aftermarket Metra adapter connects to this plug instead and yields a blue lead for antenna power and a conventional bannana antenna plug that plugs into the F90BT. I wired the blue lead from the F90BT to the blue lead on the Metra Honda antenna adapter. As I recall, I set the F90BT "settings" to power this when the headunit is powered. You can also set it to power only when the radio source is selected. Note: the true function of this wire is to extend automatic antennas, not power antenna amplifiers. The installation manual indicates that it can supply up to 300ma at 12V, roughly 3.5 watts. I worked under the assumption that if it could drive a relay for antenna control, it could probably drive the electronics that amplify powered antennas. It seems to work for me. I haven't bothered to check the true current draw presented by the antenna amplifier though.

I cut the ring off of the F90BT harness Ground lead and just wired it to the equivalent Ground lead for the Honda OEM wiring. Some argue that you should leave the ring on and screw it into metal under the dash. In my view, the OEM Ground is likely screwed into roughly the same metal within a few feet at most, so there's no reason not to use the OEM Ground.