AVIC411.com

SO CLOSE to buy an F90BT but I need some advice...

Ok I've been reading lots and lots on different Head Units for the last couple of weeks and some people (especially on this forum obviously) praise the F series PLUS it has amazing modifications you can do to it. This appeals to my geek side as I'm a computer nerd at heart and I love anything that has a good dev community and is very customizable with themes and DIY mods/hack possibilities. Here's the problem though... I"m reading a lot of horror stories about the F series as well and it's making it hard to make that purchase. These are the 4 I'm looking at so far:

Alpine w505

Kenwood DNX8120

Clarion NX509

Avic F90BT

The Avic is what I'm leaning towards but some people on here say the F series is the worst... which scares me off from buying. ALSO what's the real difference between the Z series and the F series?

One last question is this; I called a dealer today and he said I should wait because a new series will be coming out in about 2 weeks and I've also seen mention of a new series on this forum but I haven't seen any mention of it on the net or any info about a new series.

So long story short can any of you guys give me some advice on the F series Vs. the Z series as well as the 3 other brands I've mentioned? Also is there any info on a new line Pioneer is supposedly coming out with?

Thanks guys

It's tough to come online to ask for advice on something like this. Some people have had amazing experience with the unit, others not so much.

I just purchased an AVIC-F90bt online last week, and the other day and had it professionally installed. When I got home to play with it, the touchscreen was barely working. I've already removed it and I'm sending it back to get a new one.

So far, my experience has been sub par, but I'm still hopeful. If you're into modding, this system is great. After the very simple hardware mod of bypassing the e-brake by switching the jumper settings on the mute wire and grounding the mute wire and e-brake wire, the software mods are endless.

As for waiting for the new series, if it exists, that's your call. For instance, if you're looking to get a new car right now, are you going to wait for the 2010 version, or take the 2009? If you are willing to pay a premium for the "newest" then go for it, but likely there won't be much of a difference. I may be wrong, but that's typically the way it goes.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Just remember, it's your decision. Don't let any one person sway you one way or another. Do your research and be confident before making the purchase.