AVIC411.com

D3 for teenage son, have some ?s

Hi,

We're about to get this installed in my son's car (teenager). He mainly listens to his iPod and I want to get him navigation and hands-free calling features as well. I had already bought him a stand-alone GPS as part of his graduation present, but now I'm just gonna have the D3 installed instead (had bought it before for my truck but never put it in).

1. Will the use of the D3 make it easier and safer for him to control his iPod (vs using the iPod directly, connected via his present HU's AUX input)?

2. Does it interface with the iPod Touch (think he has the 1st gen model)?

3. How good/easy is the Nav system in the D3? Should I buy an updated Nav disc since it's probably a year old by now?

4. Can you add your own POIs (e.g. traffic cams)?

5. How is the hands-free calling capability of the D3? Easy to use, good call clarity? Is the mic built into the unit, or does it plug in (giving you some choice in placement)?

6. Are there firmware upgrades for the unit?

7. Should I just keep the unit for my truck and buy him a more recent model due to much better iPod control/Nav/hands-free calling?

Thx,

Frank

1. In my opinion, yes.

2. Audio only, it will not work for video with the touch using the CD-I200 ipod control cable.

3. Good, a current nav disk update is never a bad thing.

4. No

5. Very good, plug in mic with long cable, connects to the back of the unit. Requires additional CD-BTB200 bluetooth module.

6. No

7. Up to you, the D3 is still a popular and useful unit.

Thanks!

I see that you have the F90BT - did you upgrade from the D3, and if so, why? The specs show voice control of the iPod, that could potentially make it safer yet (if as fast and reliable as operating the touch screen controls), and the screen resolution is much higher.

I have a D3 in one of my cars and in my opinion it works flawlessly. The Ipod interface is touchscreen on the unit and the Bluetooth works perfectly. Nav is very fast and efficient as well. My map disc is older but still works very well.

The one thing that really stands out on a D3 is the speed. There are no lags on anything on this unit.

Just my opinion. I have a D3 and an F90BT.

As a teen myself, i perviously owned a d3 and it was an ok unit. First off, the navigation system was by far the worst thing Ive ever experienced. For example, when you are searching for a POI you can not sort by distance, there is no Text-To-Speech, and the avic has the dumbest routing logic and it will take you far and beyond just to get you some place close. Also having to deal with the nav disk bothered me.

On the other hand, the avic was flawless in every other department. The on screen ipod function is much safer than using the ipod simply because it is bigger on the touch screen display. The videos will not work with the 6 gens (useless you roll back the firmware) or touches, this didnt bother me to much because I dont watch while driving. Otherwise everything works well on the unit!

HOWEVER, I know this is a AVIC forum and probably get some bad feedback, I recommend the Kenwood units... from my experience they are so much better than the avic units. The nav is 1000x better, you can add POI, you can play videos from ipod (all gens) and their tech support 1000x better and they send out updates in a reasonable amount of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a D3 in my truck and love it!!! The only thing I am not thrilled about it the navigation interface. I have a Garmin 660W, so going to the Pioneer software it a bit of a stretch, which Pioneer would integrate the Garmin software then we could have the best of both worlds. But to answer your questions:

1. I believe so, epically if his truck has steering wheel controls, which the D3 can utilize with and adapter.

2. As answered above, music only.

3. Kind of answered above, and Pioneer comes out with a new Nav DVD about once a year, I have the new one but the old one should be fine.

4. I think you can add your own POI if I remember correctly, but I could be wrong.

5. Hands free is great! You do need a Blue Tooth phone and the BTB200 adapted, but I have it and even with the windows down people can hear me. Plus if the phone has music on it you can play that through the D3 as well.

6. No, just new Nav disc.

7. Up to you. I have not had much interactions with the F - series but from what I have read the D series it still a better unit.

Hope this helps!!

2004 Z71 Tahoe w/BOSE and OnStar

D3

BTB200

Steering Wheel Controls

3 12" JL W6

Ruger P89