AVIC411.com

F90BT displays "System Startup..." message and then reboots

Just updating...

So I got my another unit sent to me very quickly.

Since the wiring was already in my car, installing the unit was a breeze.

Unit started up just fine and ran just fine, though I admit, seeing the "system starting..." screen made me wait in anticipation: Would it go away? Would it stay? :?:

IT went away. So I test all the functions - they all work.

I go for a ride... and not too much into it, the darn thing reboots.

Long story short, I get crazy, and try deleting the GPSxxxxxx.bin files, etc. Just nothing over the top, like reloading the software. Afterall, I had JUST got the unit and had done NOTHING other than entering the language.

I was frustrated. The unit was rebooting, but I was able to get to all the functions, unlike the previous unit, where it would freeze and I couldn't get to the navigation system. So, though it was rebooting, it was exhibiting different symptoms. I had to figure this out!

Further testing (all very scientific, mind you... LOL), I realized that as I stayed in one place, the unit would not reboot... I drive around (speed didn't seem to matter) and it would eventually reboot.

"Okay, so there's something there," I thought.

It wasn't the antennae, for it was working properly, AFAIK. Maybe it was the bypass? But many have run it with out an issue. Then I thought, well, maybe I'm the exception. Re-read the instructions, and thought maybe I was grounding something wrong... but I wasn't.

Then it dawned on me. Maybe it was the VSS sensor! The wire would pick up signals from the speedo and send it to the unit - what if I tapped the wrong wire, and whatever signal/data was being sent was causing the unit to reboot. Was this a possibility? When I installed the VSS wire, I was 90% sure I had tapped the right wire.

I was hopeful, though my previous unit worked for a week before it exhibited reboot symptoms... this unit only took a day. However, the symptoms were different. Very weird.

I took my dash apart, and disconnected the VSS wire. I prayed to the Gods of I.C.E. (In Car Electronics), started up and drove around... not soon into the drive. REBOOT! Argh.

It occured to me again. What if, there was a bad signal in the VSS causing the unit to reboot, but whatever it was, is STILL affecting the unit? I had an idea. I drove around the block, back home, and threw the unit into Test Mode. Deleted the GPSxxxxxx.bin files and did a hard reset.

Drove around and had zero issues (w/ the VSS cable disconnected). I took a 20 minute drive. No reboot, and everything (navigation, DVD, radio, ipod, CD) worked. I even turned the car off in the middle of the drive and turned it back on. Still no issues!

It has been, knock on wood, issue free for two days. I will keep this thread updated, just in case.

Since the VSS isn't needed, I'll probably just leave it be. My old GPS would lose it's signal when I went into tunnels as well, but as long as I remembered which exit I was taking, I was fine. It's more, "how quick will it get a signal" once it leaves the tunnel. I rarely drive in tunnels anyway!

I feel like an idiot, but I'll update in a week or two, as to whether that solved the problem. Someone can learn from my mistakes, so... yeah. :oops::lol:

I'm just glad I didn't brick the ECU or something... :shock:

Just updating...

You have a lot more patience than I have! I think if I get mine back and it reboots I'll be claiming on my credit card as "not fit for purpose"!!

Not sure what the VSS is - is that where it calculates where you are when it loses the satelite? Mine's the F700, which doesn't have that feature. Good luck anyway. Thanks for updating the thread and please keep us informed of the outcome.

Just updating...

You have a lot more patience than I have! I think if I get mine back and it reboots I'll be claiming on my credit card as "not fit for purpose"!!

Not sure what the VSS is - is that where it calculates where you are when it loses the satelite? Mine's the F700, which doesn't have that feature. Good luck anyway. Thanks for updating the thread and please keep us informed of the outcome.

LOL. Well, it was rebooting, but exhibiting different symptoms, and I had to figure it out! I was ready to give up - I even went out and bought a GPS, because I could put my old HU, which has the iPod control (all I really wanted was iPod and GPS!!!). It was nice to have it in one, tucked away unit.

The VSS is the Vehicle Speed Sensor, and yes, calculates where you are when you lose a satellite. I can live with out it if the unit will work.

Good luck with yours!

If you're in the UK phone Pioneer and ask if you can send it direct to OE Electronics. They'll give you the number. Call OE, they'll give you an RA number and arrange for collection - make sure you include the VAT receipt or it's a no-go. They repaired mine immediately and shipped it out the next day. So far, it's looking good.