AVIC411.com

F90 Install - I Really Need Some Assistance - Please Help

I just purchased a brand new F90Bt and I'm looking into possibly installing it myself. Even if I don't install it myself...I'd really like to know more about the process so that I can haggle a bit better with the installers.

I have a 2008 Suzuki XL7.

1. The F90 I bought came with a wiring harness in the box...so I'm confused about the whole harness process. I've read countless threads that talk about getting the "right harness" for your vehicle. Am I to understand that the harness that came with my unit will not work with my vehicle? Why even include it?

2. I've read about Software Bypasses and Hardward Bypasses...and I got a little confused. If I simply do the hardware bypass (move the mute wire to pin #4 and ground it and the parking brake wire to the ground wire, as I understand the process)...am I done with the bypass process? I will have full functionality at any speed with the hardware bypass?

3. I've heard that I'll need to buy a sleeve. Is this true? If so...how do I find out what type?

4. I'm thinking of having the Alpine PKG-M780 headrest monitors installed as well http://www.alpine-canada.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PKG-M780&lang=en&tab=A. Is there anything I need to be concerned about in regards to compatibility?

5. I'm told that I'll need a video amp because I'm hooking more than one video monitor to the unit. And they're charging me $50 for the video amp. Is this truly necessary?

I appreciate any and all assistance in this matter. I realize that I could find most of the answers in the forum but I'm honestly getting more confused the more I read. Thanks again.

1. Did the company sell you an additional wiring harness specifically for your car? If you're talking about the Pioneer harness in the box, everyone uses that.

2. If you do the Hardware bypass correctly you won't need the software bypass. A ton of the software hacks that are on here have the software hack anyway.

3. Go to crutchfield to see if your vehicle needs a double din adapter for it. a few vehicles don't need one.

4. As long as they have an RCA in you will be fine.

5. you could use an analog Y cable but your signal could degrade. If you're looking for inexpensive, find the model that they are using then search for it on Epay.

I hope this helps. Sometimes it's okay to let an installer do the work if you're unsure. It's not that hard though, just take plenty of time reading and researching before you jump in. (if this is your first shot at a Nav unit...)

the harness that came in the box plugs into the radio that you just bought, thats why they include it. you will need to buy a harness for your specific car(every different make of car uses a different harness, that why they dont include it) to wire up to the harness they gave you, then the new super harness will convert the plugs in the car to the plug on the back of the new radio

Thanks for the info guys.

Ok...I went ahead and purchased the Alpine PKG-M780 headrest monitors. I know I won't be doing that install, but I still may consider installing the headunit myself.

I searched crutchfield and they say I'll need a scosche installation kit...so I'll research that more.

Now that I understand the wiring harness more...it appears I'll need to purchase one of those or go the long route of figuring out how to wire my radio directly to the wires in my car. I think I'd rather buy the wiring harness.

I'll probably go ahead and get the video amp...sounds like a decent deal...doubt I could beat it.

Thanks again for your assistance.