AVIC411.com

Is there a way to set the navi to give you better directions? Ive messed with it to have it give me directions to routes i go on everyday just to see what kind of directions it gives me. It gives the the directions to take mainly just main roads and multiple freeways to get the same place i could much faster with less freeways and side roads instead. I have the gps settings on fast assuming it would give me the fastest route to get to where i have the directions for. How about the short setting? Would this setting give me the shortest (which would also be fastest) route to the point i set? Just trying to make the best use out of this gps device. Doesn't do much good when it gives you the same generic directions i could get off crappy map quest! Thanks guys!

Shortest isn't always fastest. The shortest distance may be on roads through cities and towns with restrictive speed limits and traffic lights. The fastest way may be longer in distance but take less time to get there. We all compare the directions to the ones we know the best, but computers don't think like we do--they only follow their programming. If I know one way is easier I program the GPS and drive the way I want. It will keep 'recalculating' or whatever it does and when I get to where I want to listen to it I do. So long as it doesn't get you lost it's doing what it was intended for.

Shortest isn't always fastest. The shortest distance may be on roads through cities and towns with restrictive speed limits and traffic lights. The fastest way may be longer in distance but take less time to get there. We all compare the directions to the ones we know the best, but computers don't think like we do--they only follow their programming. If I know one way is easier I program the GPS and drive the way I want. It will keep 'recalculating' or whatever it does and when I get to where I want to listen to it I do. So long as it doesn't get you lost it's doing what it was intended for.

Thats exactly what i do. Just curious if there was a way to set it to get better directions. Really only good like you said, if your lost or have no idea where your going. Oh well, dvd quality is great! Haha.

Thats exactly what i do. Just curious if there was a way to set it to get better directions. Really only good like you said, if your lost or have no idea where your going. Oh well, dvd quality is great! Haha.

Also, you could use the Stanislavovich mod (he made the setting configurable) or change a parameter in SYS.TXT that makes software to a longer, but more accurate route analysis...