AVIC411.com

UPDATE: iPhone 3GS & OS3

Well, after much testing and talking to the Apple engineers I have an update for you all.

1. all iPhones with OS3 work completely with the Pioneer F series

2. all iPhones (including the 3GS) will charge when connected ****caveats below

a. iPhone 3GS REQUIRES currently available Apple branded AV cables (PIONEER cables are NOT compatible with charging the 3GS)

b. using an additional USB extender cable KILLS charging capability (for the 3GS)

I found upon testing that adding a USB extender cable (Belkin, GE, and others) somehow kills the charging capability of the iPhone 3GS, but not the first generation or the 3G. This was tested at the headunit itself. However if you plug the AV cable directly into the headunit (without extender) the iPhone 3GS charges fine. This however is NOT the case with the Pioneer branded cable - it will not charge the iPhone 3GS at all in any configuration.

All other current iPods and iPhones including the 3G do CHARGE and operate correctly regardless of the iPhone OS.

in case you are wondering I have tested this myself in "real world" conditions and have conferred with Apple regarding this issue.

I have noticed on some F series decks that a reset on the headunit is required after the OS3 update for the iPhone and iPod. This is a random, unduplicateable issue.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or comments......

Clark

So far with my 3GS I have found that once in a while it will charge off the Pioneer cables. I have the F90BT. At first it was not charging. I removed the Pioneer USB cable, plugged in the Apple one into the extension and it started charging. Then removed the the Apple and plugged in the the Pioneer and it charged. Now for the last few days it has been charging at some times and not charging at others with the Pioneer cables. I will probably go with just the Apple cables for the consistency, but this is what I have seen over the last few days.

B~

Both me and my dad's 32gb 3gs (one white, one black) both consistently charge, and play video with my f90bt. I'm using the pioneer cd-iu230v cable that came in the box. Never had any connection issues whatsoever thus far.

I wonder if the charging has do do with the cables themselves, the 3gs's (16gb vs 32 gb, etc), or the f90 itself. Maybe older ones or newer ones have different firmware revisions on certain devices that deal with the usb charging/transfers?

I guess I must consider myself lucky!

here's an update:

I THINK it is voltage related . . . .

I am still having intermittent problems with charging even with the new Apple AV cable. It seems (note I said seems) like it may be a voltage issue. When I start my car after sitting for a few days (and using ther battery, car lighting, underglow, etc.) I get the charging error message. However after running the car for a few m inutes I can connect/charge just fine.

Can anyone confirm this????

Clark

I have not been able to figure out or consistently reproduce the error. For me, I do not believe it is a voltage issue (but I will check) because my car is a daily driver and I can be running errands and be in and out and sometimes it will charge and sometimes it will not. Sometimes it will start charging and then a few minutes later I will get the incompatible message and it not charge. Thanks for letting us know about the Apple Cables being an issue also, that saves me some money. This issue is very frustrating.

B~