AVIC411.com

iPhone 3GS/Avic-N3 solution.... I think

I have been struggling with a good iPhone/Avic-N3 setup for nearly 2 years. But I think I finally found one. Use the Apple COMPOSITE cable. This will allow audio, and most importantly for me, VIDEO output to the N3's screen. It will also allow full functionality of the phone. Just get a Bluetooth headset. The only issue I can think of would be charging. The Apple composite video cable has a USB connector for power supply. Avic N3 has no USB. You could either get a cigarette lighter USB adapter or get crafty and fit the cable with something that can draw power from the N3. The reason I haven't done this yet is because for some reason I thought the iPhone couldn't output video through a composite cable, only component. I'm glad I was wrong. I don't remember where I got this idea from in the first place.

Im about to fit my Tahoe with the ultimate iPhone/Avic-N3 setup. I'm gonna get a mount from ProClipUSA to mount my iPhone right next to my N3's screen. The Apple composite cable is the only way to get video from an iPhone into the N3. 3rd party A/V cables won't do video because Apple blocks them from working with a chip or some shit. I should be able to give an update within the next few weeks after I get my setup installed. What do you guys think of this? See any problems with the USB charging issue?

CoryG85

you can use ANY AV to headphone jack plug, but you have to switch the the red and the yellow plug because they are switched on the phone/ iPods. the reason for this is that video cameras (the other main use for these cables) in their most basic setup (head phone to 2 RCA), they transmit a video signal and mono audio, but when you have the cable ith red, white and yellow it transmits video and stereo audio. on the iphones/ iPods the primary setup sends stereo audio and then when you have the 3 RCA cable it then sends the video signal too.

in short just swap the Red and Yellow RCA plugs and it will work fine if you don't want to spend the extra money.

the Zune cable is also the same as the Apple one too.

I have this exact setup for the D3, so not sure about inputs, etc...and its in a Tahoe 03. I have the new adjustable mount from proclip USA with the passthrough jack. From there I have the Apple Composite + USB jack attached to the bottom of the proclip. The USP jack goes into a cigarette adaptor for charging and for the composite I got a 3 to 1 cable from Radio Shack that takes the composite to a midi jack. I have the midi plugged into the front of the N3. All cables are hidden behind the dash except where they plug into the cradle and N3.

I am able to watch videos, play music, phone calls, etc all with this setup and its charging all the while. Best part is you dont have to plug anything in everytime you get in your car/truck. Just throw it in the unit.

I would suggest getting one of those cigarette adaptors that have two usb in's. This way you can charge a spouces or friends phone and leave yours in the cradle.

And just this week I realized the 3.0 software fixed a glitch with this system. Before I could not hear voicemails so I had to remove the phone from cradle. Now it plays right thru.

Good luck

PS, my mount is to the left of the steering wheel

• 4 weeks later...

ok i've got my AVIC-N2 w/ N1 brain installed in my new ride and I have my iPhone hooked up with Apple A/V cables in the inputs of the N1 Brain.

I can get audio, but no video? does anyone know why? I even installed ScreenSplitr for iPhone, and when I turned that on and had my N2 on A/V AUX, I actually saw the screen for a split second and it went blank again. I think I am on the right track, but am missing something simple. like a setting on the unit?

Anyone?