AVIC411.com

Questions about installing AVIC-D2 in 2005 Superduty

First off, I have to say after spending the better part of the last three hours reading posts here, it is a pleasure to see everyone getting along and not bashing other people or other brands like on most boards.
As for the amount of information given for both tips and tricks, I find it amazing. Keep it up!!!

I have a 2005 Ford F250 Lariat Superduty CC Diesel. I have just replaced my complete system with all JL Audio components. I have replaced all 4 stock speakers, added a Stealthbox in front console and mounted the 300/4 and 250/1 amps under the rear split seat.

Now it is time for the radio to be upgraded. I have decided to go with the AVIC-D2. However I have a few questions for anyone that may know.

1. I believe the factory 6-cd radio is a DD size? Will I need any additional mounting kit or brackets aside from what comes with the radio? Will it appear as a "factory fit"? Any mods to the dash or opening?

2. Being the truck is a diesel, is there anything different or special about about the VSS wire? Where is it and what color(s)?

3. Same goes for the reverse wire. Anything special and color/location.
4. Any other tips or tricks on installing?

Thanks for any input you may have.
Jeff
You will need a mounting kit to get a perfect fit & it will appear factory. No mods are necessaary, I just did one and it looks perfect.

I cannot remember the VSS wire info, but it can be found on [url=http://www.the12volt.com]www.the12volt.com[/url]. Nothing unusual because it is a diesel.

The reverse wire is easy too, just go back to the backup lights and splice into the wire that goes to 12 volts when put in reverse.

Good luck.
Jeff
Yet another ford superduty. Man so many of these things are getting avics. Long story short easy truck, you will need a dash kit. As for the rest of your info, here read this.

[url=http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2301&highlight=]http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=[/url]
Just put a D2 in my '04 SD diesel. The dash is different from the '05 so I can't help you there. I didn't install the reverse wire, b/c I am not using a camera and the D2 has been working fine for the past 3mo (just something to consider).

The VSS is Gry/Blk in the harness going to the ABS module. The ABS module is in the front left of the engine compartment just ahead of and below the battery; it has a number of aluminum brake lines going to it. I had to remove the airbox, battery, and battery tray (in that order) to get a good shot at the harness. Open the harness (carefully) and find the gry/blk wire. I would only recomend using a splicing method that completly seals the splice b/c you are in the engine compertment. I have seen too many of those quick spice things self destruct when they come in contact with water. I soldered the splice, coated in liquid elec. tape (you can get the good stuff at a boat store like: westmarine), then taped the hell out of it. When taping the harness back together I would recomend useing cloth reinforced elec. tape, more expensive, but worth it.
Thanks for your input guys. Here is my update and a couple questions.
I purchased the D2 with the Metra install kit and a harness from CC.

The install kit did NOT fit exactly. I have a dash vent on either side of the radio, and the lower tabs of the mounting face plate were hitting a screw on inside of each of the vents. So I called Metra and explained it to them, and he said that it "should be a direct fit". After some time talking to them, their print of the dash show the vents screwed to the back of the dash with one screw, while mine has three screws securing each vent. Their print also shows the vents as oval shaped, and mine are square. I guess Ford has made a change to the dash somewhere. My truck was built 9/04.So I had to remove the inner screw from each vent and cut off the molded lug. Then the face plate fit flat against the inside of the dash.

The harness they gave me connected to the factory truck harness, but the other end has a funky end that matches nothing??? So I will just cut that end off I guess and splice to the D2 from there.

As stated, I have the factory 6cd radio. Some have mentioned to pick up the VSS wire from the radio harness blk/gry. However there is a blk/gry, but it is for a speaker? Anyone know if there is a another place in the cab to pick it up instead of under hood?

I removed an extra terminal in the connector, and am going to use that in the empty hole to do the bypass. As well as the brake wire.

Anyone know if these bypass mods work on ALL D2's??? Or is there different mods for units built prior to, or after a certain date? Mine was manufactured April 2006.

Thanks again for all your help. I am taking pictures as I go, so if anyone is interrested, let me know.

Jeff