AVIC411.com

VR/Contacts not working with my new iPhone 3Gs

Hey there all,

I have been a fan of this unit since I installed mine about a year ago. When I purchased my iPhone 3G, the contacts transferred over just fine, and I was able to dial via the VR system just fine. This past week, I purchased a new 3Gs, and have tried to do the same thing. Unfortunately, the AVIC unit seems to have lost the ability to recognize my contacts. I works just fine when I reuest music on the iPod or switiching inputs, etc. - but trying to dial by contact name (example: "Call Doe John work" results in some thing like "Calling 853000, please hang up to cancel"

I'm hoping there is just an easy fix for this, and I have done some poking around and searched for solutions this morning. I have arranged the contact list first name/last name and vice-versa, I switched the International setting to Australia to get rid of the dashes/parantheses, etc. - to no avail

It WILL recognize the number is I read it to the unit ("call 3135551212" will result in a correct call to whomever, but not by saying their name)

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kev

Hey Kev.. I just installed my Avic F series unit and I'm having the same issue. I can voice dial by saying the numbers, but not by the contact names themselves. I use an Iphone 3G. I was wondering if I went to the 3gs if i'd have better luck but it seems you are having this issue as well. I also have the same issue when using VR to play a track. Artists, and playlists work fine but I can't pull up a track by VR. Have you had any luck?

T

Have you gone back and reviewed the various iphone and 3G discussions on this very same topic?

iphones are very picky about the display format when you transfer your contacts, more then most other phones.

I say this because you're not saying "it worked great on my original iphone, but my 3Gs upgraded phone doesn't work" I think you're just hitting the same issues all us other iphone owners have dealt with since the AVIC came out.

I have tried to search for a solution in the past threads regarding iphone and 3g issues. VR works with everything except being able to call by name. Dialing by voice with numbers works every time. Also incoming calls come in numerically only as well. I ordered the 3.0 firmware.. Does anyone believe this will solve some of the issues I'm having? One other thing is that I can use VR with the ipod function to pull up playlists, artists and albums easily but it wont recognize a "play the track _____" command. Is this something that you're supposed to be able to do with the f90BT?

Firstly, to dianebrat - I guess I should have mentioned it, but yes, it did work properly with my older model iPhone 3G, just not with my new 3Gs.

Next, I have gotten it to work by removing all the "&" from my contact listings. I thought I had them I my contact list with the older iPhone, but could not say for sure. Regradless, taking those out allowed me to call by name using the VR. I even tried to say the names in the proper order (example" call John Smith work) and it recognized the name even though it read back "calling Smith John work". Pretty nice.

As a fan of these units, I find that it is usually user error (as is my case) and rarely the unit. YMMV.

I'm interested to see what type of improvements this upcoming 3.0 update may yield.

Cheers,

kev