AVIC411.com

Just a quick question, I got the f700bt a while back and have just hooked it up but in the last couple weeks the in line fuse on the yellow cable keeps blowing. It came with a 2A fuse and the plastic covering is labeled 2A but they keeping blowing. I had the d2 and when I took that out the same fuse on that wire harness was a 10, should I put the 10 on the 700 harness or just call pioneer.

BTW i have a 98 ford ranger if that helps

I wouldnt recommend putting in the 10amper in, obviously theres a problem that's why they're blowing... if it comes with a stock 2amp then leave it with a 2amp just find the issue, check your wiring, make sure your speakers are wired correctly, make sure not to overpower the unit... things like that

What causes a fuse to blow is too much amperage draw. This could be cause by a short (voltage straight to ground without anything providing a voltage drop), high resistance (bad connection causing the system to work harder and demanding more), or the system itself could have a component in it that is bad (shorted). When does the fuse blow? If it blows as soon as you turn the key then probably you have a short. Could be the insulation chaffed and now you have bare wire touching ground (anything metal that is bolted to the chassis), or the system itself is bad. Probably wiring though.

If it blows after you have been listening to the system for a few minutes or so then you may have high resistance (bad connection), or again a faulty unit.

I bet you have a wiring prob, bad splice where you crimped to hard broke the plastic and now the metal of the splice is touching the metal of the car (short), or a splice that is not making a good connection. Maybe only 4-6 strands of the wire are actually crimped and not the whole wire (high resistance).

Like the other poster mentioned you do not want to grotto a higher rated fuse. A fuse is a safety device so Pioneer says this unit is safe and built to work off of for 2 amps (for whatever that wire is feeding inside the HU) and if you go and put a 10 amp fuse in it you could end up frying your HU or causing a fire.

Hope you get it fixed.

i thought something was funny with this. With pioneer decks, they pull all the power to run them through the constant wire (yellow) and just enough power to turn on the device through the acc wire (red), this is why the constant and ground wires are the same thickness and the acc wire is much thinner. and since the f700bt's have a maxium current draw of 10 amps, the fuse needs to be a 10 amp fuse. even more weird is the the guy @ pioneer that i just got off the phone with to confirm this said, that there shouldn't be any fuse on the constant wire because it is built into the body (just below the harness connection) and that you have been giving the wrong harness somehow.

so please, go ahead and replace that 2amp fuse with a 10amp fuse(yellow wire only) without the fear of any fires, and feel free to confirm this with pioneer if you wish