AVIC411.com

GEX-P20HD HD Tuner with Z110bt review in lab environment

As I stated I am still testing in lab environment since I am still waiting for some parts (XM tuner, custom install parts) to come in before I rip the car apart (BMW X5).

I plugged it in and using an FM antenna rigged from a Home theater receiver antenna. I didnt think it was going to work but I was surprised.

Anyway as for the HD tuner I was a little dissappointed in a few items. First is the freq/station does not appear in the list of presets even after storing them. Regular AM and FM shows them on the preset list. I hope the sound quality substantially higher otherwise I will go back to not using the HD tuner. IF HD is plugged in the AM/FM is disabled.

Second is the unit will disable the AM and FM options in the AV source screen. HD radio is in the second screen so an additional touch is needed. I wish pioneer removed the AM and FM options from the screen if the HD radio is detected. I tried antenna splitter but the options are still disabled.

I have not tested sound quality since I am currently still using spare home theater speakers.

I played around with it more last night and on the screen it has a status of Analog or digital is being received. It seems to be improved when it changes from analog to digital. When I switch channels it starts at analog then stiches to digital within 5 seconds. I'm not sure if it will do this everytime but there is a sound difference.

HD radio has advatantage since most of the radio stattions in NY area has additional channels within it. As an example 100.3 has 3 channels playing a different program.

As I stated I am still testing in lab environment since I am still waiting for some parts (XM tuner, custom install parts) to come in before I rip the car apart (BMW X5).

I plugged it in and using an FM antenna rigged from a Home theater receiver antenna. I didnt think it was going to work but I was surprised.

Anyway as for the HD tuner I was a little dissappointed in a few items. First is the freq/station does not appear in the list of presets even after storing them. Regular AM and FM shows them on the preset list. I hope the sound quality substantially higher otherwise I will go back to not using the HD tuner. IF HD is plugged in the AM/FM is disabled.

Second is the unit will disable the AM and FM options in the AV source screen. HD radio is in the second screen so an additional touch is needed. I wish pioneer removed the AM and FM options from the screen if the HD radio is detected. I tried antenna splitter but the options are still disabled.

I have not tested sound quality since I am currently still using spare home theater speakers.

fe342185: What year BMW X5 do you have? I would like to install my f90bt in a 2007 BMW X5, but I don't see how I can do it. No space for a double DIN unit.

fe342185: What year BMW X5 do you have? I would like to install my f90bt in a 2007 BMW X5, but I don't see how I can do it. No space for a double DIN unit.

This is a z110bt on my BMW X5 03 ,A double din will fit in there when you take the original trim out ,that's a custom trim for aftermarket double din from mybimmer.net

057.jpg

I have been running z110bt with HD radio p20 as well ,The sound quality is somewhat not as good as I expected ,it's a cleaner signal ,but the sound is more like equalized sound ,bass is strongger ,I wouldn't consider that as "better sound quality" ,definitely not a night and day difference .

Btw,my HD radio "froze" very often on the screen after another restart ,I had to try disconnect the power wire on P20 few times and restart the z110bt few times to make it work again ,has anyone experienced the same issue ?

I am doing a 2003 X5. SOrry I cannot help you on this.

this is what one amazon.com poster said about the splitter.

Is this not what you are trying to accomplish>?

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have Adapter for HD Radio Installs, January 26, 2008

By Roberto Acosta - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)

This adapter provided a clean solution for my DIY project to install an HD radio kit in my car. Most car audio head units (mine included) do not have the capability to deactivate the internal AM/FM tuner after installing a compatible HD radio kit. Installing a HD radio kit requires use of the vehicle antenna--the problem is there is one antenna connection and two tuners. This kit readily enables you to have both tuners working. There are several reasons why: (1) avoids the "dead" source on your head unit (static noise), (2) enables one to compare station and tuner quality (internal AM/FM vs. the HD unit), (3) avoids "...there's something wrong with your radio" when someone else drives your vehicle, and (4) allow you to go back to regular AM/FM on your favorite station because sometimes the regular (non HD) audio may sound better than the HD version depending on the CODEC being used by the radio station. Depending on your area radio stations, HD radio can sound anywhere from near CD quality to very bad MP3 sound. The Metra 40-UV44 adapter let's you enjoy the best of both worlds and is one I consider a must have adapter if your car audio system does not allow you to deactivate the internal tuner.

this is what one amazon.com poster said about the splitter.

Is this not what you are trying to accomplish>?

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have Adapter for HD Radio Installs, January 26, 2008

By Roberto Acosta - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)

This adapter provided a clean solution for my DIY project to install an HD radio kit in my car. Most car audio head units (mine included) do not have the capability to deactivate the internal AM/FM tuner after installing a compatible HD radio kit. Installing a HD radio kit requires use of the vehicle antenna--the problem is there is one antenna connection and two tuners. This kit readily enables you to have both tuners working. There are several reasons why: (1) avoids the "dead" source on your head unit (static noise), (2) enables one to compare station and tuner quality (internal AM/FM vs. the HD unit), (3) avoids "...there's something wrong with your radio" when someone else drives your vehicle, and (4) allow you to go back to regular AM/FM on your favorite station because sometimes the regular (non HD) audio may sound better than the HD version depending on the CODEC being used by the radio station. Depending on your area radio stations, HD radio can sound anywhere from near CD quality to very bad MP3 sound. The Metra 40-UV44 adapter let's you enjoy the best of both worlds and is one I consider a must have adapter if your car audio system does not allow you to deactivate the internal tuner.

That is what I would like to happen but as soon as the HD tuner is plugged in via the IPbus the AM/FM is disabled. If I unplug the fuse on the HD tuner the AM/FM becomes active. I guess I can put the antenna splitter in and put a switch on the power supply for the HD tuner to use the standard tuner.