AVIC411.com

Making a Mono Subwoofer Pre-Amp Output

Hi Everyone,

The AVICs use a stereo pre-amp output for the subwoofer, even though the sub is obviously just a single channel with no left or right. But I'd like to route that R & L pre-amp output through a stock remote volume knob on my car that uses a single gang potentiometer (which means the knob can only control a single channel, not both the right and left channels).

Can I splice the right and left subwoofer pre-amp outputs together to make a mono signal that I can route through the stock remote volume knob? Will doing that fry something in the pre-amp or something in my Sony XPlod Amp?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

(A) replace the single POT with a dual POT

(B) use a set of 2male-1female Y RCA adapters off the back of the avic to go into the POT then use a 1male-2female Y RCA adapter from the POT to the amp

© just use the sub level adjustment inside the avic

(D) get an amp that has a remote bass knob(a box with a POT inside) and take it apart and put it in place of the stock POT (almost the same as option A)

Thanks 1louds,

You've laid out the options clearly, and I was considering all of them, but I wasn't sure if Option (B) was actually feasible without damaging the pre-amp or the Sony Xlpod amp.

If Option (B) was not feasible, then I would have tried Option (A)/(D).

Thanks for letting me know that Option (B) will work. That makes the job a whole lot easier.

i would just check it, sometimes if you try to combine two signals they cut eachother out somewhat. hook it up, then see how much the sound changes by unplugging one of the wires from the avic to the bass pot. it should get quieter, but see if it changes much. with speakers it often does.

• 1 month later...